Moving Rear End Back

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
lfg1931
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Moving Rear End Back

Post by lfg1931 »

This is my first experience with a AA (1931 - 157" parallell frame) and I find that I must move the rear end back to remove/install the tramsmission. This looks like quite a chore and I don't want to disassemble any more than is needed. I have removed the U-joint housing but without moving the rear axle to the rear I cannot access the U-joint.

What are the steps requried that are needed to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Larry
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Re: Moving Rear End Back

Post by Hayslip »

(1)Get the frame secured on jack stands (2)unscrew speedometer cable at torque tube only. (3)chock front wheels (4) unhook brake rods at rear end (5) remove lower caps where spring attaches to rear end(2 bolts each side) Forget about top half it swivels (6) Put big block of wood under torque tube so it won't crash on ground. Pull rear end back a few inches; no need to completely remove rear end/torque tube. Now you're ready to remove the smaller drive shaft. It's not necessary to jack up the frame up high; just enough to support the vehicle.While the caps are off the ends of the springs remove any congealed grease in the grooves and replace grease fittings as needed. Best, Ed
Hayslip
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Thanks in advance. Hope to be going thru this process in a few weeks. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Post by E.Moore »

If you use two shop floor jacks under each side of the rear end, you will have much more control moving the rear end back and it will prevent the entire rear end from pivoting off of a single jack.

If a single floor jack is used, the rear end will pivot to one side on the jack and can easily come off.

Once the heavy thing has fallen off of a single jack, and knocked the jack stands or saw horses away from holding the frame up, and after the whole truck crashes to the ground, and the colorful adjectives have cleared the air, it is a bitch getting everything set back up to proceed with the original objective of removing the intermeiate driveshaft.

Just be careful, think ahead and all will go well.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I'm assuming you don't have the bolt together front u-joint
on the coupling shaft???

Bob
lfg1931
Body Type: 82-B

Post by lfg1931 »

Thanks so much for the information. It will be very helpful, I was thinking I would have much more disassembly that. I hope to have the task accomplished by the end of the day.

Larry