AA Tug

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Harvey
Model Year: 1930

AA Tug

Post by Harvey »

Okay,

Now that y'all are absolutely green with envy over my tug announcement (and how could you not be :-) I need some help in getting the rear end apart so I can start restoring this thing. The rear end is made from a narrowed 1928/29 AA worm drive assembly, complete with stock drums and brakes. The rear wheels are locked solid and I suspect that the brakes are siezed. Got any suggestions (just short of dynamite anyway?)

And just to head off any smart-alecky questions, I'm restoring it to be a "driver" and not an entrant for future Blue Ribbon judging!

Harvey
Houston :D
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

If the brake adjustment wedge is frozen up, I use a torch to head the cone red hot. After it cools, it may then move. If this does not free up the brake drum, I try heating the drum with a torch where the brake shoes contact the inside of the drum.

As a last resort:

Sometimes, every think is so rusted together that I end up cutting the drum off with a torch. I cut around the face of the drum about 3/4" in from the outer radius. I then cut across the drum to the backing plate in two places (between where the brake shoes are). Once the outer part of the drum falls off, the hub should then turn.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Harvey »

Good grief Neil,

If I end up having to torch the drums off, will I be able to find replacements?

Harvey
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Harvey,

Cutting the drums off is the last resort. If you had a strong enough hub puller, you might be able to force things apart. I remember Bud Valarius saying he was able to pull the hub and drum off with the tool he was using.

I have found that when the drums are rusted onto the brakes that there is not much of value inside anyway.

Finding a '29 AA worm drive rear axle with hubs/drums which will turn is not too hard and not too costly providing it has low speed gears.

I have three rear hubs/drums which are for sale if you end up needing any and you can't find some close to home.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Harvey »

Neil,

Please tell me more about the hub puller that Bud Valarius used. Is this puller unique to the AA or is it the same as an A? Also, is this a purchase-only item or can it be rented/borrowed?

Harvey
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

Neil,

Please tell me more about the hub puller that Bud Valarius used. Is this puller unique to the AA or is it the same as an A? Also, is this a purchase-only item or can it be rented/borrowed?

Harvey
bud valerius

29 drum puller

Post by bud valerius »

I use a Rockford dropforged puller it has 3 adjustable arms model RM-200 S45c 8" I tighten it with a box end wrench then slowley with a air impac waiting a few seconds betwen Bud