U-Joint ID

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body
Model Year: 1930

U-Joint ID

Post by mbailout2 »

Hey guys, I need a little help here especially since I don't have a Ford Parts List. My NOS U-Joint arrived today from NC, and it's as tight as a virgin with her legs crossed. There are markings on the casing. It reads "SAA7907" and on the other side there is an "E". It's the proper physical size and fits the splines O.K. I would just like to identify it. I'll need to soak it in oil overnight as it's so tight. :D

Mark
mbailout2

Re: U-Joint ID

Post by mbailout2 »

Geeze...my eyes must be playing tricks with me but I guess it's natural when your 70. I've had the U-joint soaking in oil for about 30 minutes, and looking at that number again it's reading different. Nope...haven't had any Mo'gan David wine either. :)
It reads clearer now and the number is "SAA7091", and that sounds better than 7907. :oops:
Anybody help me?? :o
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

There certainly aren't any part numbers that start with SAA. I don't see any 7091 part numbers. There are part numbers 7090 and 7097. Hope this helps.

Red
mbailout2

Post by mbailout2 »

Thanks for the reply Red. I'm actually afraid to look at it again as the numbers might change. :lol: But I took the chance and yep...it says SAA7091, and actually put in during the casting. It must be after market and not listed in the Ford Parts. I can say though that it fits the 6x10 splines and physically is the same size and looks like my old AA7090. :?

Mark
mbailout2

Post by mbailout2 »

I figured out why the U-joint part numbers were changing on me? :?
On the 6 spline end, the part number stamp reads SAA7097.
On the 10 spline end, the part number stamp reads SAA7091.
The spider has a stamp on it that reads SAA7098.

When I picked up the Universal the first time, I picked it up by the 6 spline end, and the second time by the 10 spline end. Thought I was loosing it! :lol:
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by rsierk »

You are probably looking at component rough casting numbers. These would be internal to the finished part and not the service part number. Engineering has to use many numbers that may never be seen by the vehicle owner or released for Service. Being so close in sequence to the service part you are looking for usually means the service part is what you expected. This does not have to be true; The number could have been assigned either before or after the other part numbers were, so it could be out of direct sequence. A number is a number, and as long as the same number is not put on two different part drawings, control of the part process in production is possible, whether consecutive or not.