rearend rebuild

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
fordman88
Model Year: 1929

rearend rebuild

Post by fordman88 »

hey there yall! been a while since iv had time to get on here but got a problem... i had 2 rearends off of 29's and i got enough parts from them to make one good rearend. i was checking everything fpr play and alignment after every step of assembly. i slid the axle and 3rd member assembly into the rearend housings but left out the worm and its bearings, and bolted the housing togeather. the 3rd member has a bit of side to side play, not as much as when i took out the gasket and tried again. my bearings seemed to be in great shape. is there any way to shim the outer races of the 3rd member bearings to take up the slack?? i ordered books to help me out from 2 diffrent vendors back in MAY and they both said its still on back order and have to wait longer! grrr!! thanks yall in advance for any advise or tips on this!
Trevor O Davis
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Re: rearend rebuild

Post by russ »

Trevor, if ya like i can have my brother-in-law make ya up what ya need. He's been a machinist all his life and makes stuff for me when i need it. Give me a shout if yer interested.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

i just started working for a company that makes and distributes all kinds of fasteners and shims so i already got a lot of connections for odd and hard to find parts. i just dont know what i need to do exactly or how to figure out what i need to get.
Trevor O Davis
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

me and my buddy were out tinkering round with the rearend again a bit ago. with the thin paper gasket in the case and it bolted tight, the 3rd member/ring gear can move about 1/32" side to side. dont seam like a bad figure but it sure looks like a lot when your moving it and makes quite a sound when you move it back and forth. the axle and spider gears fit real nice in the 3rd member and i checked the worm shaft seperatly and all else seems great. im thinkin that thin shims, maybe 1/64", put behind the outer race on both halves of the housing would do the trick at tightening up the tapered bearings... does this sound good to anybody else? i have access to metal shim stock as thin as .0005" to get the job done if needed. thanks again
Trevor O Davis
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

That sounds like it should work good to me.

Red
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

Hello Trevor,
Thats a lot of side play , so it makes me wonder how did it get there, I can not imagine it would be that way from new, it would had to have had some preload, to have worn that much it would be obvious.
If you have the service bullitins take a look at page 375 , which refers to axle housing lenths ( with or without seperate e-brake ) and page 410 regarding housings sold in pairs.
If I remember from your earlier posts you had several axles to choose from, so I suspect the answer is on page 375.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

yea thats kinda what i was thinkin too. the rearend had evidence of bein blown in the past and most of the gears were next to new. infact the ring gear didnt have any wear on the reverse surfaces. i ordered several diffrent books a few months ago and they still on back order, i was tryin to wait till i got the books to tackle this but im gona be moving closer to my new job soon and the ol' gal "June" needs to be atleast be rolling soon. i did measure both halves of the housing after cleaning and they were identical lengths. i checked both of the axles thd they equal and straight. really wish my books would come in!!!! hahaha
Trevor O Davis