double gasketing at exhuast

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

double gasketing at exhuast

Post by russ »

Les Andrews 'Model A Mechanics Handbook' page 1-155 Step #19 says to use two exhaust manifold gaskets. Does that mean doubling them up or does that just mean two short gaskets rather than 1 long one? I've never heard of doubling them up so my money is on two short gaskets. Also, my exhaust manifold gasket has a shiny metallic side and a black fibrous side. Can anyone tell me which side the shiny side should be on (facing block or facing exhaust manifold).
Thanks in advance.
Everybody likes pics.
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Re: double gasketing at exhuast

Post by mbailout2 »

Pretty sure they're talking about the old 2 piece gasket sets. I had a set like that at one time. Install the gasket with the black side to the head and metalic side out. The fiber side will stick to the head, and if you have to remove/replace your exhaust or intake manifold, the gasket won't be destroyed. :) This is howz I seez it anyway. :D

Mark 8)
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

I think they mean a double thickness to compensate for any warpage of the manifold. As I recall I once bought two sets of the short version and doubled them up. The dealer first offered the long strip, but I told him this was not for a hot rod and I didn't care for the look of the shiny metal. The factory ones did not look like that and can be viewed in the Service Bulletins. Another Model A owner overheard this exchange and told me to buy two sets of the short version and double them up. I took his advise and haven't had any problems. Best, Ed
Hayslip
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

Although one can use a double gasket if he desires, if I thought my manifol was warped, I would personally take my manifold to a machine shop and have it checked or decked to the correct fit. :) The reference in the Mechanics Handbook Im sure is talking about the 2 piece manifold gasket, as they are also talking about the 4 manifold studs and nuts. The Mechanics Manual approaches all repairs and adjustments with undamaged parts or components, unless so noted. 8)

Mark 8)
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Thanks gents. I think i'll go with a single, and go from there if need be.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.