New guy...

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
timdp
Model Year: 1930

Re: New guy...

Post by timdp »

A few more pics...

The mirror mount is very ghetto

Instrument panel

Cab rear exterior. Met the guy that put that star in the window in 1958...

Cab interior rear wall

Cab ceiling:
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Tim, you da man with the camera. Thanks for the detail pics. We all benefit from pics of AA's. It's like healthfood for the soul...or soulfood for the....whatever. :D

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Okay - Great pictures of the cross members. Your platform is the first I have seen with more than one two board cross sill.

It must be that the supplier made up single and double board cross sills based on the wood available. Once assembled together, then the remainder of the machining was done. So, the two board cross sills could end up as any of the seven.

Thanks again for the great information.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by timdp »

Updates:
The frame is parallel - 33" wide behind cab and at the rear end.

Firewall pics (I'm a better photo/Photoshop guy than I am a mechanic...)

Got a new coil, ignition switch and carb gasket/parts set and rebuilt the carb a bit last night. Picked up a battery and some gas today wired in the new ignition switch and (with some help) got it running briefly. It was not getting enough gas to run by itself. One guy with lots of Ford experience seemed to think it was the float not being adjusted correctly. There was also some rust partially blocking the gas line but he blew that out so gas was running freely to the carb. Got a new gas filter and adjusted the float tonight and will try again tomorrow.

tim
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Ah...one of the premier memorable moments, gettin' it lit for the first time. Glad to hear it's keepin' ya entertained. :)
Everybody likes pics.
timdp

Post by timdp »

Where on the firewall is the indentation that indicates a late '31 truck?
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

It would be right where the sediment bowl should be ( where your gas line comes through the firewall).

Red
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

I'M surprised the back of the cab is not beat up after being used as a flat bed. I notice it has a crack around the rear window upper right corner. Typical! All in all it's pretty straight.

New style spark plugs.
timdp

Post by timdp »

Thanks Reds34!

I actually met the guy who put the star in the rear window. Truck was used in an apple orchard and In 1958 the son in law of the previous owner was loading apple tree props. The stack got a little too high and when he shoved a prop into the truck it hit the window.

Shorthaul wrote:I'M surprised the back of the cab is not beat up after being used as a flat bed. I notice it has a crack around the rear window upper right corner. Typical! All in all it's pretty straight.

New style spark plugs.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

timdp wrote:Where on the firewall is the indentation that indicates a late '31 truck?
I was the person that thought I saw the indentation but your most recent pics show that it doesn't exist. I would think it is a late 30 early 31 but am leaning toward late 30 because of the splash aprons. 31's with the insented firewall also came with a factory steel top and you are right yours was homebuilt.

Nice truck & good luck with it.
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

Not all indented firewall trucks had steel tops. I have two trucks with indented firewalls and both have the vinyl tops.
timdp

Post by timdp »

Update!

Finally got it running today and after adjusting the timing, drove it off the trailer and went about 75 yards before the bouncing in the field knocked enough crap loose in the gas tank to (apparently) block the fuel line. Will check it to see what actually happened tomorrow.

Wheeee...

Tim
timdp

Post by timdp »

Had a local shop take apart two wheels and mount new tires/tubes on them. Wheels were rusty but still solid...yay!

A few more pics. The driver's door color is a test color for those wonderful Russian greens...

Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I love those headlamps.
timdp

Post by timdp »

Chris Haynes wrote:I love those headlamps.
Will happily trade them for some original lamps...

Was told that they are after market replacements with sealed beams.

Tim