head removal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russell madden
Model Year: 1930

head removal

Post by russell madden »

am trying to change heads on a 29aa. head seems stuck, have pried, hammered pulled and oiled for 2 wks. no movement. any ideas on removal techniques or methods. Russell
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Russell,
I have used a 2 to 3 inch thich bladed putty knife. This knife does not bend and has a sharp edge. I tap the knife between the head and the gasket (not through the gasket). I keep removing the knife and moving it to a new place. I would be best to have two knifes. If you get the head up enought for one knife to push in about 1", then drive a second blade in over the first. Basically, you keep increasing the wedge to free up the head.

You can try driving a small bladed chisel (two is better) between the two putty knife blades to increase the wedge.

Work around both sides and the front.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Head removal

Post by IHC »

Hi Russel,
Is there something you don't tell?
If it is possible to start the engine. Loosen all the head nuts 1/8", drain off the water and remove the fan belt. Start the engine. This will definately loosen the head.
If you can't start the engine. You might try to make a yoke by the help of a piece of 3/8" iron bar and two old spark plugs. Screw them in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th cylinder. Hang the engine in the yoke and the try very gently with the putty knife. In this way all the forces applied to the head works in the right direction. If you don't see the picture I can mail you one of such a yoke. Just give me your mail address on ihc@kvl.dk
IHC, Danmark