Axle widths?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
timdp
Model Year: 1930

Axle widths?

Post by timdp »

What are the axle width(s) for the 30-31 AA? WMS (wheel mount surface) to WMS

thanks,

tim
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Re: Axle widths?

Post by Reds34 »

I think it would depend on the hubs that you have. I think I remember reading something about 2 different kinds of rear hubs in the service bulletins, but don't quote me on that one.

Red
REM

Post by REM »

Tim
The rear axle on mine measures 61".
That is measured with the wheels on so could be off a fraction of an inch but should be very close.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Timothy:

I've got a '30 or '31 rearend out back with the wheels off of it. It measures roughly 64" wheel surface to wheelsurface. Just out of curiosity, what are you attempting to figure?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
timdp

Post by timdp »

Modern axle replacement with hydraulic brakes and 4.56 gears (.85:1 overdrive transmission) with steel wheel adapters to be able to use the original wheels. Need to know the original width minus the wheel adapter thicknesses to get the preferred new axle width.

We seem to be getting a pretty wide range of measurements - 61" to 64".

Drew Mashburn wrote:Timothy:

I've got a '30 or '31 rearend out back with the wheels off of it. It measures roughly 64" wheel surface to wheelsurface. Just out of curiosity, what are you attempting to figure?

-- Drew
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

I measured a late '31 I have with no wheels and it was 62".
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

timdp wrote:Modern axle replacement with hydraulic brakes and 4.56 gears (.85:1 overdrive transmission) with steel wheel adapters to be able to use the original wheels. Need to know the original width minus the wheel adapter thicknesses to get the preferred new axle width.

-- Drew
[/quote]

Why not simply re-drill the hubs and drums for the old Ford bolt pattern? That is what I did with the Ford 9" I put in my '62 Nova.
timdp

Post by timdp »

Chris Haynes wrote: Why not simply re-drill the hubs and drums for the old Ford bolt pattern? That is what I did with the Ford 9" I put in my '62 Nova.
Did not know that that was possble.

thanks,

tim
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Exactly, what are you trying to get the measurement for. Is it the axle flange where the brake backing plate bolts on to......... or, is the flats on outside of the brake hubs where the outside wheel bolts to.

If it is the latter, it is exactly 62 & 1/2" 3/31 AA
timdp

Post by timdp »

Shorthaul wrote:Exactly, what are you trying to get the measurement for. Is it the axle flange where the brake backing plate bolts on to......... or, is the flats on outside of the brake hubs where the outside wheel bolts to.

If it is the latter, it is exactly 62 & 1/2" 3/31 AA
Was looking for "flats on outside of the brake hubs where the outside wheel bolts to."
Wheel mount surface (WMS) to wheel mount surface... 62.5" it is then...

Now that I think about it I also need the front WMS to WMS

thanks,

tim
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Get that front for you today, got mine laying on the floor.

Front= 60 3/4" WMS to WMS
timdp

Post by timdp »

Shorthaul wrote:Get that front for you today, got mine laying on the floor.

Front= 60 3/4" WMS to WMS
Thanks shorthaul! Must have missed the post edit when you put it up. Will be looking for axles this week.

Turns out that the wheel adapter guy (http://www.wheeladapter.com) can't make adapters with the '31 lug spacing, so looks like redrilling will be the order of the day.

Tim
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

timdp wrote:
Shorthaul wrote:Get that front for you today, got mine laying on the floor.Front= 60 3/4" WMS to WMS
Thanks shorthaul! Must have missed the post edit when you put it up. Will be looking for axles this week.
Turns out that the wheel adapter guy (http://www.wheeladapter.com) can't make adapters with the '31 lug spacing, so looks like redrilling will be the order of the day.Tim
If you are trying to maintain a general look, and are wanting to use the Original wheels Disc or spoke, I think you might want to get to try to find an axle with hubs that have centers the same as the wheel you are using.
This wouldn't be a problem if you can get spacer/adapters made, because the machinist will make sure your new lug pattern is dead centered on the new axle set-up.

Am I talking out the side of my tail again?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Radar
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by Radar »

If you want to use your original front axle think about this- measure the axle boss thickness at the kingpins and the diameter of the kingpins and compair with modern spindles then redrill the hubs. I would check out F350&F450 Fords and maybe 60s or 70s C40 Chev front axles. A little machine work could make a great setup. Radar
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump

Post by Hardhatz »

Yesterday I saw an A with a front axle from a late 40s Ford pickup installed. I was surprised that minimal fabricating was needed. Of course you get the better brakes.

One consideration though is that it has a 4" drop compared to the A.