Motor Numbers & Transmission question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RJ Scott
Model Year: 1930

Motor Numbers & Transmission question

Post by RJ Scott »

Here I go again...
I need some help once again. I purchased a motor/transmission out of a AA pickup to use in my AA wrecker. Can someone please tell me what year of engine I have (according to the numbers), so that I make certain I get all the right parts for it while I am overhauling the thing.
The numbers are: AA215 0701, preceded by 1 star.

Also, there is a 4-speed transmission hooked to this engine. My AA has a dual drive unit, and I understand that the dual drives were used behind the 3-speed trannys. My question is...will the 4-speed work with my dual drive or do I need to get the coupling shaft that was originally used with this 4-speed?

Just though I'd ask before I got in the middle of something I don't know enough about.

Thanks,
RJ
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

RJ,
AA2150xxx is an August 1929 engine and was probably installed in a September 1929 AA.

The four speed clutch housing and four speed transmission is shorter than the corresponding three speed clutch housing and three speed transmission.

Your would need some hard to find parts to install the dual high (under drive) behind the four speed. There is a special transmission rear bearing retainer which makes up the length difference and also allows the "A" u-joint housings to be bolted in. You will also need a special u-joint to go from the four speed to the Dual High.
Regards, Neil Wilson

motor numbers

Post by Guest »

Neil,
Thanks for your timely response as always...
I figured I'd be in trouble with the 4-speed. So I guess the truck is going to go back together without a Dual High.
I don't think I'll be needing the extra low ratio anyway. I just though it would be nice to put it back as close as possible to original. I don't plan on winning any prizes with it anyway...at least not by the judging standards.
Thanks again.
RJ
dyoungs
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

judging standards

Post by dyoungs »

Neil,

What or where do the judging standards come from? I mean are these meant for people that are restoring a vehicle and money is no option? My grandfather and I have had this truck of mine (The one in my Logon) for about 15 years. I am trying to do up keep on it so it is safe to drive and still look like a 1931 AA. Does the whole truck have to be original ford parts and all top dollar gear? Just checking to see if it will even be an option for me to enter it in contest or is it just going to be a 75 year old vehicle that I drive in the parades and drive to the fireworks for the 4th of July with my family in the back just having a great family day together which is what it is all about to me..... Thanks Dave
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Dave,
The "Model A Ford Judging Standards & Restoration Guidelines" are published jointly by the Model "A" Restorers Club (MARC) and the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA).

The idea of the standards is to provide guide lines for judges to follow when judging a Model A or AA. Judging committees within each national club determine the content of the standards. These standards reflect what is believed to be correct for a given Model A or AA as it came off the assembly line.

After 70+ years, most Model A’s have been change from its original assembly line production. If a “restoration” is the goal, then the vehicle should be returned to it original form. This is the definition of “restore”. Otherwise, the vehicle is being “fixed up” to the owner’s requirements and desires.

It takes a lot of research to “restore” and very little for a “fix up”. You have to determine what you want to do.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Features

Post by chin271 »

Neil,
What else can i do with it?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

chin271,
What is the question?