rear leaf spring U bolts?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
scl009
Model Year: 1931

rear leaf spring U bolts?

Post by scl009 »

Ok I'm having trouble finding a "good" hardware store in my area to get nuts and bolts of the correct diameter/length.

I'm not looking to make this truck show quality, but I don't want to lose my rearend/spring pack when I hit a bump on the road either. I keep shearing these bolts and I know I'm not that strong.

Can't find a place that sells a 5/8" diameter U bolt with 2 3/8" center space, to replace a broken rear spring U bolt. Even the online places that say they can bend custom u bolts only have increments of 1/2 inch center spaces, they go from 2" then to 2.5" with no measurements inbetween. Are my bolts bent? or will that 1/8" even make a difference? Should I try bending my own?

Thanks
Scott
jhokinson
Body Type: 2 1931 ''bugs''

Re: rear leaf spring U bolts?

Post by jhokinson »

have you tried any heavy truck parts dealers? they might have the style you need as there might be a modern truck or trailer that uses the same demensions for the bolts. i can give you the number of a company in my area that might do a mail order for you.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Go to Mcmaster-Carr on the net search for u-bolts they have 5/8" see if this is what you are looking for, also they carry grade 8 (harder than grades 3-5) see if this is what you need!!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.
the99car
Body Type: stake body-dual whee

Post by the99car »

Look in your phone book for a spring shop.They should be able to make any size you want.-Kenny
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

scl009

Post by scl009 »

Ok this is what I got from doin some serious footwork and finding a truck spring shop. They were surprised when they saw what I needed but they did there best to bend me up a u bolt. The semiround end blew their minds. They ended up using a square bolt and putting it on a press and "bubbling" it up.

As you can see its not an exact match but it may work with a little muscle and a good hammer, still worried about the fit though.

Also worried about the integrity of the bolt since they just bent it. You can see two decent size nick marks on the inside bend of the bolt where the dye they used applied the pressure. I tried taking a pic of the marks but they don't show up too well

distance between inner sides of bolts:
new bolt: 2 5/8"
old bolt: 2 3/8"

think I'm gonna look for a few more hours on the internet to find something closer before I give up and use it.
Oh anad thanks for the advice guys, but McMaster has no semiround u bolts and stengel brothers doesn't have anay 5/8 semiround with the 2 3/8" gap I need. They do say they can bend whatever you need, so I might try giving them a call.

thanks
Scott
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

They ended up using a square bolt and putting it on a press and "bubbling" it up.

Whoa! Dude, what does that mean in English.
scl009

Post by scl009 »

Sorry about the rudimentary drawing but don't know how to explain it.

The top section bends/buckles into an arc when the pressure is applied at two points of the sqaure bolt
Attachments
press.jpg
press.jpg (66.08 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Page 546 (March 1931) of the Service Bulletins shows the conversion to a new (longer) spring clip which allows using a 7/8" high spring clip nut (see attached).

I have two rear spring clips which measure (7-1/16" and 7-5/8"). Originals with good threads - just sand blast plus trace the threads and they are ready to go. They are $10 each plus shipping. These must be worth $100 each from looking at this thread - Wow!
Attachments
xPage 546 1931 Mar crop 1.jpg
xPage 546 1931 Mar crop 1.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
Regards, Neil Wilson