Rear wheel bearings and races

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
msandefur
Model Year: 1930

Rear wheel bearings and races

Post by msandefur »

Does anybody sell replacement rear bearing races and/or oversize bearings similar to the kits you can buy for Model As? What is everybody doing when they have a badly pitted race?
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: Rear wheel bearings and races

Post by mikeg »

msandefur wrote:Does anybody sell replacement rear bearing races and/or oversize bearings similar to the kits you can buy for Model As? What is everybody doing when they have a badly pitted race?
You can get replacement bearings and races from MAC's or Synders, and probably several other A & AA Parts houses.
msandefur

AA rear races

Post by msandefur »

I thought the race was a machined part of the axle housing. Is it removable? If so, how do you get it off?
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: AA rear races

Post by mikeg »

msandefur wrote:I thought the race was a machined part of the axle housing. Is it removable? If so, how do you get it off?
Hmmm, I must have misunderstood your question then, I thought you were refering to the bearing race that is inserted into the wheel. If you are talking about the axle itself where the bearing rides on, then I don't think there are many options other than filling the pits and machining the axles back to spec.
msandefur

Rear Race

Post by msandefur »

Yes, it's the axle, or inner race, thats pitted. I know someone sells a sleeve that you swedge onto the old pitted race of a standard Model A, and then you use a new roller bearing that has a larger inner diameter.

Perhaps there is an oversize bearing out there that can be used if you machine down the axle housing race?
Jay Neeley

Post by Jay Neeley »

I HAVE been looking for the race that presses into the rear hub on a '29 AA. I've never seen them in any of the parts suppliers catalogs. Have I been missing something?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Per the Ford Parts Price Lists - the part numbers and names may help:

For 1930 (and probably 1931):

AA-1236-C is the rear hub sleeve - inserts into the rear hub for the AA-1225-C rear wheel bearing assembly to ride on. Bratton's lists AA-1225-AA 30-34 bearing (probably the same as AA-1225-C?). I don't see the sleeve listed in the parts catalogs I have.

The rear axle housings are machined for the AA-1225-C bearings to run on. As far as I know there is not a sleeve being made to salvage the housing. And, there is no oversized bearing either.

For 1929 (and 1928 with separate emergency brakes):

AA-1236-B is the rear hub sleeve and AA-1225-B is the rear wheel bearing assembly. I don't see either of these parts listed.

You may have to get your parts the old way - i.e. find good replacement axle housings and hubs with usable sleeves. Much harder than ordering from a parts house.
Regards, Neil Wilson
msandefur

Problem Solved

Post by msandefur »

I found a machine shop in Colton, CA that did an exceptional repair job on my axle housings. He used a flame-spray technique to lay down some super-hard metal into the rusted-out areas, then used a custom-made grinding tool to grind the surfaces back to original diameter. Absolutely perfect repair job!

If you need this service, here is his name:

Brad Rowland
Brad's Auto Parts & Machine Shop
(909) 825-1160