Emergency brakes

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
IHC
Model Year: 1930

Emergency brakes

Post by IHC »

Hi
A question on emergency brakes.
I have just been test driving (slowly) my '31 AA for a few kilometres. I found out that the emergency brake has a nasty habit of suddenly and without notice it will get stuck (brake) but very quickly hereafter come loose again - (it happens more often when I reverse). I can vividly imagine what will happen if that takes place at a speed of 50 Km/h. Question is: Does anyone have experience with this? and how to avoid it? Could it be due to week retracting springs? too little play between lining and drum? or it just need to be used a bit more?
IHC, Danmark
Lycoming-8

Emergency brakes

Post by Lycoming-8 »

Had that problem with a '29 business coupe and it ws because we had used lining material that was a tad too thick. This was many many years ago and no other material was available. Seemed to only be a problem on one side so that shoe was removed and the e-brake worked with only one wheel in action for quite some time. Think you are on the right track, but you need to get it fixed as it could ruin the key or keyway on the axle.