Split-rim tools

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rob MacDonald
Model Year: 1928

Split-rim tools

Post by Rob MacDonald »

Does anyone know if either of these tools would work on an AA rim?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1928-192 ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ford-Model- ... 2eb138351e

cheers

Rob
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: Split-rim tools

Post by Reds34 »

I would have to say that they won't work. Those are for the Model T style rims.

Red
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

Thanks.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello Rob ,
Here is a picture of one set up to give you an idea as to what they do , the model T split rims are not like we have on the double A, this picture came from the model T forums at Foedbarn.
Attachments
Ford model T rim spliter.jpg
Ford model T rim spliter.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 7610 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

Brian T wrote:Hello Rob ,
Here is a picture of one set up to give you an idea as to what they do , the model T split rims are not like we have on the double A, this picture came from the model T forums at Foedbarn.
I'd figured that was how they worked, and from the scale in the photos the tool seems big enough to span the 20" rim.

Does the AA tool work on the same principle (to reduce the arc of the split rim so that it disengages from the rim) and therefore could the T or Chrysler tool be modified to fit?
the99car
Body Type: stake body-dual whee

Post by the99car »

Just use a tire hammer & iron . Wrap the rim & tire with a good chain when youair it up if you don't have a cage(they can kill you).--Kenny
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

You don't use monkey motion junk like that on a AA rim. You just hopefully break the bead, use a long tire iron to lever the ring out from between the rim and tire and it's a done deal. Unless the tire is stuck to the rim because of age. In that case you have to get meaner, break a sweat and use some appropriate words. you can make them up as you go. Good Luck!
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Make sure the ring is free all the way around. If it is rusted to the wheel it will be ruined while prying it off. Rust is tough stuff. You can bend the ring out of shape if you try to pry it off while part of the ring is rusted in the groove of the wheel. Best, Ed
Hayslip
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

penetrating oil and heat - gotcha.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

Rob MacDonald wrote:penetrating oil and heat - gotcha.
I just removed one recently using a 50/50 mix of acetone & auto trans oil and soaking it for about two weeks while tapping on it and working it with a large screw driver. I finally started wailing on it with a medium ball pein and it popped right off.

No damage to the rim and I am using it on my truck.

Tom
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

You don't want to use heat on a tire and rim, watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCH ... r_embedded
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

A 'Lock ring tool' is what you need to look for. And preferably 2 of them. Klien tools makes the best tire irons I have found. and they are reasonable too. I bought mine for 15$ each, and a Tire iron for 30$. Makes changing tires a breeze with the proper tools.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

I checked the Internet and found Klein Tool and then searched for both "tire iron" and "Lock ring tool" with no match. So, Bladehorse, do you have any information on how to find the "proper tools"?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Rob MacDonald »

This is all good stuff!

Not having dealt with split-rims before I was contemplating the $$$ of having to find an accomodating tire shop every time I needed to dismount the rims...
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

I never heard of the Urban legend of a Truck Tire’s split locking ring rolling around the neighborhood killing anyone, but then I never heard of any Legend concerning people falling off their roofs in the 50’s trying to install TV antennas to their chimneys when TV’s began to become popular. :shock:

While in the Service, I did know of an airman getting killed trying to inflate an aircraft tire and it exploded. This also happened in the early 50’s, when safety was lax and technology was emerging. :(

It’s all about common sense! When mounting my new tubes and tires, I took them (all 6) to a local Tire Service Center that services Trucks. As I watched, the 2 Mexicans there mounted the tubes and tires, laid them flat on the matted concrete, and began to mount the rings. I told them, if they could, not to use hammers or steel pry bars because the parts were powder coated and I didn’t want them chipped or nicked up. They stood on the tire and walked around the rim using their feet and the heel of their foot to force the ring on the wheel. (Now this next part I watched from behind a door window……this is the common sense part)) They filled the tires with air until they began to inflate, then they stopped and walked around the ring again, kicking it with their heels, making sure it was seated. They filled them up to 50 PSI. Notice I did not mention any tire cage or safety device, and I was somewhat surprised by that. :roll:

The danger here is when inflating the tire and the ring is not correctly seated. :shock:

I didn’t think they got many truck rims that used split rings, but they told me they get a lot of trucks like that, as some trucks used that system into the early 60’s. Oh yeah, they charged me $20.00 per tire. :D

Mark 8)