Front Suspension

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
aussieaa
Body Type: C Cab
Model Year: 1928

Front Suspension

Post by aussieaa »

Hi,
Have just entered the world of AA's and would like to know if there are any differences in the front suspension of the AA compared to the passenger vehicles. The chassis I have has been hot rodded and I want to return it to standard.
Thanks for your time.
Rod. (Australia)
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Re: Front Suspension

Post by flatford39 »

The spring perches are different for sure from the car. The ball sits a little higher for the shock to mount to. They are also marked with an AA on them. It would be helpful to know what year. 28 29 used the car front end with the different perches if it had shocks. 30 31's may have been heavier axles as well as more springs I think. I am sure others will chime in here.
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body
Model Year: 1930

Post by mbailout2 »

Hey Aussie, you didn't mention what year or body style you have so it's difficult to give you any real help. The 28-29 AA's did use some Model A parts in the front end steering and suspension system. :shock:
If you are serious about restoring an AA Truck, I would recommend you get as many AA restoration publications as you can. Such as; the Ford Parts Price List for Model A and AA, Supplement to the Restorer's Model A Shop Manual, Model A Service Bulletins complete, to name a few. If you are a member of this Model AA Truck Club, I would also recommend you request back issues of "The Double AA'er" yearly publications which are loaded with information about the AA and what publications are available for the Restorer. :D
Have you tried contacting any AA enthusiasts in Australia? You might be able to contact someone local there for some help. I do believe one of our members here is from Australia.

Mark 8)
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Hardhatz »

I'm wondering whether you have an Aussie AA or a U.S. AA, because I think there are some differences, so all those US sources might not be entirely right...
Got pics?
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

aussieaa:

Hardhatz makes a good point. A few years ago, I was in Melbourne, Austrailia visiting Rob Turner. Rob showed me the AA he was in the process of restoring. I know that the rear axel assembly is different in some ways than the U.S.-made AAs. I don't recall what the frontend looked like on Rob's AA, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's somewhat different than U.S.-made AAs. I know that Austrailia has Model A clubs. I suggest that you contact one or more of them until you find some fellow AAers.

Good Luck!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Hello aussieaa,

Drew and Hardhatz are correct in stating that the US and Aussie AA could be different. The Australian trucks were the same as the Canadian versions. I know that at least in '28 and '29 they were. I have a '29 AAC (Canadian) truck and it is quite different than the US version, such as a different Timken bevel gear rear, open driveline, torque arm below left rear spring, different brake shoes with cable operated brakes, wooden spoke wheels, different cab and fenders, just to name a few items. The Canadian-Australian version of the Model A Ford Service Bulletins were reprinted in 1980 by The Model A Restorers Club of Australia, PO Box 100, Garran, A.C.T. 2605. (This may be an old address). I got my copy through the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation. One of these would be a great help in returning your truck to its' original state. I believe the parts books are available to view online at their website too.

Keith
aussieaa

Post by aussieaa »

Thank-you all for your replys. Have tracked down a local enthusiast and have sourced a couple of AA front suspensions.
Not sure if the are Aussie or U.S. but will post some details when they arrive.
Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

AussieAA
i have an Australian Bodied 1930 model AAC truck.
in Australia we never recieved the heavy front axle that was avaliable late in the production of the AA trucks in the US.
other variations on AAC trucks were the braking system, diff and we only had 28-29 style cabs on Australian produced vehicles.
the differential was avaliable in open tail shaft up to 1930 and then an enclosed until end of production all produced by Timken.
the differential parts are not interchangable with the US models.
long wheel based chassis were 131 in chassis cut and the extended with a riveted extension plate. all years had solid front engine mounts. these were welded to the chassis on later models that did not originaly have the solid front mount.
there are other differences as well but these are just some.
aussieaa

Post by aussieaa »

Thanks for the information Downunder Bob. Was looking at a US 34 Ford truck when I came across the remains of this AA.
I am trying to track down the original suspension as it has had a bad hot-rod job done to it. All I have body wise is a open cowl and a picture of the truck in the late 70's. I have a lot of AA parts coming and also an American closed cab 27-28 so hopefully will be able to put something together.