need advice on express bed repair

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.

need advice on express bed repair

Post by guest »

I have an express bed that needs repair. I am capable of welding and grinding so the repair disappears but I dont want to tear the bed all the way down and fully restore it. It still has most of the original? wood and its dry. I am concerned that welding might damage the wood. The wood has rotted on the ends--maybe it doesnt matter?? What is recommended? Thanks
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Guest,
What Express body do you have? Ford sold an Express on the TT. It looks like a T or A pickup body. This same body was modified for the AA tapered frame and used through 1930. This is the 89-A Express. The 1931 Ford express body is a wood lined, metal skinned body. This is the 195-A Express (or 197-A for the 157" wheel base).

In either case, if you are welding close to the wood, it will more than likely burn. Have a bucket of water handy! I would remove the wood before welding. If it is going to burn and is currently rotted, then you will probably want to replace it anyway.

Attached is a picture of an 89-A Express with the wood removed and a 197-A rear view Ford archive photograph.
Attachments
89-A Express Body
89-A Express Body
Cross Sills - web.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

The second picture didn't show up for some reason. Here it is.
Attachments
197-A Express Body
197-A Express Body
overlay 31 Express 8267 - 72ppi04.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Regards, Neil Wilson