Cadmium Plating

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Cadmium Plating

Post by Bradshaw »

Hi all,

I'm just about through getting my 4 speed transmission back in order. I need information on cadmium plating. Found out that the "transmission cap" at the base of the shifter is supposed to be plated.

Is this an "electo-plating" operation? Or are the parts dipped in a solution and "painted"? Anyone know someone that does this on the East Coast?
Is there a way to do this yourself?

Where is the best place for me to reference all the parts that would need to be cadmium plated for my Early 30 Express?? I figure since the truck is already disassembled down to the frame, I would be a little ahead by getting all the parts plated now.

Thanks,Bradshaw
Last edited by Bradshaw on February 11th, 2016, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Re: Cadmium Plating

Post by mikeg »

Bradshaw wrote:Hi all,

I'm just about through getting my 4 speed transmission back in order. I need information on cadmium plating. Found out that the "transmission cap" at the base of the shifter is supposed to be plated.

Is this an "electo-plating" operation? Or are the parts dipped in a solution and "painted"? Anyone know someone that does this on the East Coast?

Where is the best place for me to reference all the parts that would need to be cadmium plated for my Early 30 Express?? I figure since the truck is already disassembled down to the frame, I would be a little ahead by getting all the parts plated now.

Thanks,
Chris Bradshaw

Chris, check out Eastwood Company, they have an electroplating kit that might do what you are looking for. I'm not sure about cadmium plating though.

http://www.eastwoodco.com

Mike...
Rosenkranswa

Cadmium Painting

Post by Rosenkranswa »

Check out Eastwood's "Silver Cad" finish. Its a paint finish rather than a plating, but looks pretty good.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

It is getting hard to find places to get cadmium plating done. I have heard this is due to EPA requirements (I don't know). It is the same type of process as having parts nickel or chrome plated.

It would be valuable to have a list of cadmium plated parts. Someone will take the time to do this someday.

The biggest part to be cadmium plated is the wheel rim flanges (the wheel locking rings). The hub bolt nuts (lug nuts) and hub caps are cadmium plated. These are the parts which can be seen the most on the AA trucks.

The hub bolts and the nuts holding the hub bolts to the hub/brake drums were also cadmium plated. The hub bolts were, however, painted black after installation. There are many other small parts which were cadmium plated as well.

There is a company near Denver doing cadmium plating. I have not tried to use them so I don’t know if they are still doing this work. Their information is as follows:

Aero Propeller, 303-469-1749 Fax 303-465-1254, 800-525-8756, 9616 Jeffco Airport Ave. Hanger 44, Broomfield, Co. 80021
Cadmium Plating - for clean parts $2.50 per lb. with a $60 minimum; Small Part cleaning - call for price
Regards, Neil Wilson

Re: Cadmium Plating

Post by Chris Haynes »

Bradshaw wrote:Hi all,

ThanksP
Chris Bradshaw
I use a Magna Plating on California in Burbank, CA. Anything that will fit in his 15 gallor drums cost 75 bucks. That will hold enough parts to do 25 Model As and a lot of Harleys too. UPS delivers to his door.