Front Leaf Spring

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RJ Scott
Model Year: 1930

Front Leaf Spring

Post by RJ Scott »

OK, here I am again asking for help and information.
I installed a new front leaf spring on my '29 AA. The square head of the center bolt comes up through the square hole of the frame, like it should, the bottom plate tightens against the bottom of the crossmemeber, again, as it should.
My question is... should the leaf spring be tight in the pocket of the crossmember??
It seems as though there is a considerable amount of movement in the spring, as though it isn't seated properly. There is movement from side to side and movement up and down when I wiggle the assembly.

I am worried about nothing??

This is probably a good one for you, Neil...

Thanks in advance,
RJ
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

RJ,
The plate used on the bottom of the spring to be tightened with the spring clips (u-bolts) should not make contact with the front cross member. The spring should be tight in the cross member (zero movement)! So, there is something wrong.

What is the width (front to back) of the spring leaves (like 1-3/4" maybe)? How many leaves are in the spring? What is the width of the front cross member opening for the spring? Where/Who did you get a new spring from?

Maybe the above questions will provide the answer or will open the door for more questions.
Regards, Neil Wilson
RJ Scott

Post by RJ Scott »

Thanks, Neil...
I purchased the new front leaf spring from Mac's.
It has 10 leaves and is 1-3/4" in width.
After reading your reply, I figure I am going to have to buy a different spring. I now have a brand new 10 leaf spring if anyone is interested!

RJ
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

RJ,
You do have an A front spring. If the throat of the front cross member is 1-3/4"+ very little, then your frame is a '28 or '29. If the throat is too wide, then your frame is a '30 or '31.

In early '30 the frame, front and rear axles were changed but not the cab and other sheet metal.

You can send me an e-mail to wilsmor@juno.com and I will send you specifications for the '28/'29 AA front spring.
Regards, Neil Wilson