AA 1Ton Express body Wanted

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
jesse
Body Type: aa exspress body 1to
Model Year: 1929

AA 1Ton Express body Wanted

Post by jesse »

I am searching for a 1928 or 1929 1Ton Express body pickup bed. If anyone can help it would be great.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA 1Ton Express body Wanted

Post by Neil Wilson »

No such thing - I think that you are looking for an 89-A express body for a 1-1/2 ton AA chassis (1928 - 1930). Yea, it looks like a pickup body but Ford called it an Express body. All AA chassis are rated at 1-1/2 ton (off the assembly line).

FYI - I have a TT express body to sell. If you can't find the AA express body, then you might have to consider a TT express body conversion to an AA.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: aa exspress body 1to
Model Year: 1929

Post by jesse »

Thank you for your help and Information. I am interested in the TT Express body you have for sale and would like more information. I was wondering if you have fenders and what the length is. I appreciate your help and hope to hear from you soon. Thank you Jim Giles
rdhagen
Body Type: AA Express

Post by rdhagen »

Hi Jim,
Just to let you know, I have an original AA express bed to sell. It is not perfect but very restorable. Plus I also have one very very nice rear express fender that I will sell. I plan to sell both box and fender and will let you have first chance at both. If not interested in either, please let me know and anyone else that is interested can then have a chance. Please e-mail me at rdhagen@hickorytech.net and we can talk more if you like. Thank You Robert
Neil Wilson

AA Express (body type 89-A)

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Jim Giles,
We talked on the phone a few minuets ago. Please have your son send me an e-mail at neilwilson2@comcast.net. I can then get you information and pictures regarding your '29 AA project.

I do have a pair of AA express rear fenders to sell. They are in need of lots of metal repair. I also have a TT express body in need of lots of metal repair. This body is has the same cargo dimensions as the AA express body (48" wide x 86" long). It can be converted to an AA express body to fit the AA frame. I can send pictures once I have an e-mail address for your son.

The best option for you is to find an 89-A AA express body. Converting a TT express body would be a second option. Attached are a couple of pictures of the TT express body which I have to sell.
Attachments
xIMG_6633.jpg
xIMG_6633.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
xIMG_6631.jpg
xIMG_6631.jpg (60.44 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Neil and others,
I have a question regarding changing the TT bed over to an AA. When a conversion is done properly (adding fender wells and correcting support/mounting rails) are there still features that would make the bed identifiable as originally being a TT? I am at a cross roads of either spending the extra up front to purchase a decent AA bed or taking a TT bed and converting to AA. I’m just wondering if the TT converted bed would be just “similar” or more of an exact copy of the original. Basically, are the end results equals.
Best Regards,
Jared
Neil Wilson

TT to AA Express Body Conversion

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jared,
It is my opinion that the TT express body can be converted into an AA express body and have the end result be an exact copy of an original AA express.

I heard of one such conversion in which there was an original AA express body to use as an example. Without an example to make comparisons with, it would be hard to know exactly all of the changes and the measurements. The following are the areas of conversion which would need to be considered:

AA Express Wheel Wells
AA Express Tapered Sills
AA Express Sill Support Brackets
AA Express Cross Sills
AA Express Tail Gate
AA Express Center Stake Pockets
AA Express Front Panel
AA Express Rear Fender Attachment
AA Express Body to Frame Attachment

I have a document with some text for each of the above and I can send it as an attached via e-mail. So, if you want this document send an e-mail to neilwilson2@comcast.net. Do not post a message (i.e. e-mail) on this forum. I can't send an attachment via the forum!

Note that it may not be a question of spending more $'s to buy an AA express or less $'s for a TT express to convert. It may be that you will not find an AA express to consider buying at all! And, most express bodies (TT or AA) found on the market are rusted out on the bottom and require considerable metal work. To me the major conversion item is putting wheel wells into a TT express body that are exactly the same as the AA express wheel wells. This does not need to be done to make the TT body usable as an AA. But, it is the most noticeable difference between the TT and AA.
Regards, Neil Wilson