First time out of the barn in 40 years

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

First time out of the barn in 40 years

Post by 1crosscut »

New member here, been reading my way through the posts from the begining and have found lots of good information and it has been pretty entertaining at times.

Thought that I would share some pictures of "Bill" my new truck and how I came about finding him.

First thing first.
Thanks Neil for all of your excellent advice!

I was on my way home from bow hunting and on a whim decided to take a detour on some back roads to see if I could find a new place to hunt. Stopped in to an older farm set back on a long lane to ask for permission. While talking to the owners I noticed a 1949 F-5 grain truck that had been parked off to the side for quite some time. They said they might be interested in selling it so we went out to kick the tires. While looking at it the owner mentioned that he had a 29 AA in the barn and wondered if I would be interested in looking at it. I replied "OF COURSE I WOULD!" Turns out his dad bought it in 1945 from a neighbor for $350.00 they used up until 1960 and then parked it in the pasture until 1970. He then backed it into the barn and that is where it stayed. I went back a few days later and we worked out a deal and on December 30th I brought Bill home.

All in all he is in pretty good shape. Pulled the pan and cleaned out the sludge and took a look around inside. Went through the oil pump, new points, new condensor, re-set the timing, put in some water and found that he starts runs quite well.
The previous owner had done a bit of work on it while it was in the barn. He started to replace the wood on the roof and replaced the bed with plywood. The roof work is none too good so that will need to be re-done and the plywood in the bed will definitely need to go but all of the metal bed skid plates hardware etc... is there and straight. He had the mirror bracket, visor, tail light the rest of the hub caps in a different work shop. The drivers door has rust at the bottom and he got a door to replace it many moons ago. Problem is that he stored it upside down in a shed and it sunk into the dirt and the top of it is now rusted. Oh well. Got him up on blocks right now and the plan is to get tires on and go for a spin to see how things work.

I'm thinking that I might for the time being fix him up as an as is truck and leave his work clothes on for a while. One can always restore a truck all the way but then you can never go back.

Dave

Hope the pics come through.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0158.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... 0180-1.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0183.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0193.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0198.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0195.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0199.jpg
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... C_0200.jpg
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: First time out of the barn in 40 years

Post by Chris Haynes »

Good idea. Fix what needs fixin'. Repack all the wheel bearings, U joints, ETC.. Oil down all the sheet metal to prevent further rust and enjoy it. I saw a guy once who had a truck covered with surface rust like yours. He washed and detailed it real good and applied a good coat of paste wax on it. Have you ever seen glistening shiny rust? Not a bad look. :D
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

What a beauty! From the looks of the JD in the background Bill has found a good home :lol: And a spare to boot!! :D Den
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Great! I'd call that " Show Room Floor". What a find. Except for the tires, leaving it just the way it is might be in your best interest. Thank you for sharing , and best regards-
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Nice job with the pictures. Looks like ole Bill will be getting in the action here on the AA forum.
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

Your a lucky guy Dave, stumblin onto that 29. Your off to a great adventure and a great relationship with Bill. :D

Mark 8)
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Nice thing is that along with the truck I get to bow hunt on their land too! :D
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

You've got everything....Bill and arrow !! :lol:
What's your game? What's in season?

Mark 8)
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Beautiful find there Dave, is this your first AA? Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Nice play on words Mark, I really enjoy hunting whitetail. Pretty much only harvest does now a days. Bucks will have to wait until one comes by that is better than the one already on the wall. The season is closed until fall but I think that I will have something else to occupy my time until then.

Luke - this is my 1st AA. I've always had hopes of getting one some day but really didn't hold out much hope that it would happen. Feel really lucky to find one that is so complete. The only Model A stuff that I have worked with is a Thieman tractor that I have had for several years. These are tractors that came out of the "factory" as a plain frame with steel wheels in the rear, rubber in the front and a steering wheel. Just add a Model A radiator, engine, transmission and rear end and you have a tractor. The engine on it had the head off and sat outside for a loooong time and the engine was froze up beyond repair. I got an industrial engine (? no serial numbers) off a cement mixer and resored that. The engine and transmission sit under the work bench waiting for me to finish the rest of the tractor. Looks like the tractor will have to wait again.

Dave
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Dave:

Love those "diamond" tread rear tires on "Bill". Have fun with the truck!

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Post by gunmetal »

Iam happy for you and Bill, he looks like a real winner. your going to have a lot of fun. Thank you so much for the pictures, to add to my collection. My avator is my truck, got it last year.
jimyAA
Body Type: Stake

Post by jimyAA »

Just a great story and pictures to. You will have some fun with this truck. Thanks for sharing.