top wood for 1931 truck cab

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rfj52
Model Year: 1930

top wood for 1931 truck cab

Post by rfj52 »

Does anyone know of a book with working dimensional prints for top wood? All wood above doors.thanks.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: top wood for 1931 truck cab

Post by Shorthaul »

You can buy a kit fairly cheap. check the parts and vendors section of this web site.
lfg1931
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by lfg1931 »

I agree with Shorthaul. These wood parts have intricate curves and recesses that would be hard to duplicate. I got a kit from a vender that was top quality and fit very well. Be sure to stipulate whether you have the soft top or the steel top.

Larry
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Cheap is a relative term.
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I used a top kit for my '30 pickup I got from Bratton's. Very good quality kit and the components fit pretty well, but not perfectly. After 80+ years I would guess the cabs "settle" differently leading to subtle changes in dimensions. Bottom-line, you'll probably need to do some tweaking of the pieces to ensure an optimal fit.

The kit price I thought was pretty reasonable, not cheap, but reasonable.
Bill James
Body Type: 82A

Post by Bill James »

I made my own for my early 1930, the old pieces made patterns. Lots of hand work getting the radios right, but it turned out OK. I had some black oak lumber for free so thats what I used.
rfj52

Post by rfj52 »

Thank s everyone I dont have any of the orignial pieces, I bought the truck as a basket case and almost all of wood was out of cab. I know the wood can be bought relatively cheaply but thought I might be able to make some of this up while I wait for the snow to melt.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

rfj52 wrote:Thank s everyone I dont have any of the orignial pieces, I bought the truck as a basket case and almost all of wood was out of cab. I know the wood can be bought relatively cheaply but thought I might be able to make some of this up while I wait for the snow to melt.
Snow? ????? :lol: Have to goto the MTNS. here to see snow! You must live higher up,the snow turns to RAIN Before it reaches the ground here!Most of the time that is.
As for the top wood 2 or 3 hundred should cover it! If on the other hand you are handie with wood working go for it.Tis a good feeling knowing you did IT .Sides screw it up,Who's to Blame HUH!