I think we have a Canadian Cab ? any info out there?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis
Model Year: 1928

I think we have a Canadian Cab ? any info out there?

Post by Harry Lipki »

I do believe we have a something called a Canadian cab on our AA Chassis -- Is there any info out there on this ?
and how rare are they ? Only in Canada EH
Attachments
on display.JPG
on display.JPG (45.93 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

Re: I think we have a Canadian Cab ? any info out there?

Post by modeleh »

I have seen photos of AA cabs like posted by guys from Australia. It doesn't seem like too many have survived. It is my understanding that the most of the trucks sold to commonwealth countries were Canadian built. In my opinion, each one of these AAs Canadian, American, or Russian are rare in their own respect. There are lots of different variations that have survived, but most in fairly low numbers. Rarity doesn't seem to add any value to AAs though.
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis

Post by Harry Lipki »

Not that cocerned about the value -- Real cool to know the history -- an older post from farmerden shows a Canadian cab which is virtually identicle to ours . Any info is always nice to have so I can give an answer to questions asked at shows .
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Harry,
The "C" in your engine number means it is Canadian, the US made
only have "AA" not "CAA" like yours.

Bob
jimyAA
Body Type: Stake
Model Year: 1929

Post by jimyAA »

Most of the Canadian AA's had cabs built by Brantford Coach, thus they were called Brantford Cabs. They are a little different then the American built cabs being they are mostly wood with sheet metal covering and that goes for the doors also. The American AA's had the same cab as the pickup truck much more metal with far less wood than the Canadian Cabs. That is why the Canadian AA's with the Brantford Cabs are scarce. I am from Canada and in 1969 my late father bought an early 1929 Model AA ford with original wood spoke wheels that had the Brantford Cab. The wood in the cab was badly deteriorated so it was taken apart in in 1971 and then put at the back of his garage. He had a friend who had offered to do the woodwork but it never happened. The truck is still in the corner of the garage the way it was left in 1971 but other than the cab it is in excellent condition, the 60 year old tires are still holding air Early in 2009 I suggested to my father that we look for a good American cab and put the truck back together and he thought that would be a good idea. So I started looking but unfortunatly a year ago Dec. my father had a massive heart attack and passed away after a short time at hospital. I am now planning to find a good cab and finish the truck in his memory.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have a 1928 Open Cab from Winnipeg. It is all metal except the seat supports.
jimyAA
Body Type: Stake

Post by jimyAA »

Thanks Chris but I am looking for a 28/29 closed cab complete with doors.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

jimyAA wrote:Thanks Chris but I am looking for a 28/29 closed cab complete with doors.

I am not selling my cab. I was simply pointing out that it wasn't metal over wood construction.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

jimyAA wrote: ...Early in 2009 I suggested to my father that we look for a good American cab and put the truck back together and he thought that would be a good idea. So I started looking but unfortunatly a year ago Dec. my father had a massive heart attack and passed away after a short time at hospital. I am now planning to find a good cab and finish the truck in his memory.
Good Plan and a great memorial to your POP. Wish you luck in your search.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Radar
Body Type: 82a

Post by Radar »

jimy-doing my truck for the same reason Radar
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

One feature of the Canadian Fords was the use of Robertson("Square-drive" to you Americans :)) screws throughout the vehicle.

Apparently H Ford determined that the use of Robertson-head screws would save something in the order of 40 man-hours per vehicle in assembly (I might be blowing smoke here, but it was an astounding number) and approached the Robertson company in Ontario for the patents.

Ford wanted to buy the rights, but Robertson would only go so far as to 'license' them for use in the USA, so no deal.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Rob MacDonald wrote:One feature of the Canadian Fords was the use of Robertson("Square-drive" to you Americans :)) screws throughout the vehicle.

Apparently H Ford determined that the use of Robertson-head screws would save something in the order of 40 man-hours per vehicle in assembly (I might be blowing smoke here, but it was an astounding number) and approached the Robertson company in Ontario for the patents.

Ford wanted to buy the rights, but Robertson would only go so far as to 'license' them for use in the USA, so no deal.
...And Henry didn't crush him???
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

vtwinsideways wrote:
Rob MacDonald wrote:One feature of the Canadian Fords was the use of Robertson("Square-drive" to you Americans :)) screws throughout the vehicle.

You lot weren't an empire yet, and we were!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Rob MacDonald wrote:
vtwinsideways wrote:
Rob MacDonald wrote:One feature of the Canadian Fords was the use of Robertson("Square-drive" to you Americans :)) screws throughout the vehicle.Apparently H Ford determined that the use of Robertson-head screws would save something in the order of 40 man-hours per vehicle in assembly (I might be blowing smoke here, but it was an astounding number) and approached the Robertson company in Ontario for the patents.Ford wanted to buy the rights, but Robertson would only go so far as to 'license' them for use in the USA, so no deal.
You lot weren't an empire yet, and we were!
Yea, what happened with that... :D I think Henry happened...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

Yea, what happened with that... :D I think Henry happened...
That, and the fact that a certain country used to arrive 'fashionably late' whenever there was a war on... :roll: