1930 Rear End Rebuild

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body
Model Year: 1930

1930 Rear End Rebuild

Post by mbailout2 »

Molly has her newly rebuilt rear end installed and she’s doing great. No more “thunk” when accelerator is released, and no more backlash and gearing noises. She’s running almost as quite now (in high gear), as my F-250. :wink: Some of the information I used in rebuilding were contributed by a few old timers at this Club Site and I want to say thank you. The axles were shimmed to provide a tight fit against the spider pinions, and the pinion gear was shimmed to provide a tight fit against the ring gear. The shimming was done to provide minimal clearance, and since Molly isn’t going to be hauling any loads, the tight fits should do fine. Some of the assorted shims I used were from early chevy and dodge trucks, therefore I didn’t need to fabricate them.

Molly and I will be on the road (Molly on her trailer) to Arizona in about 14 weeks, after our eviction from foreclosure. We will be heading for Prescott in Yavapai County (gold Country). I’m going to dig up the gold and Molly is going to haul it out of the mountains! :lol: Anyone in the club from that area? Would love to hear from you.

Mark 8)
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: 1930 Rear End Rebuild

Post by spectria »

Good Luck with the Gold Fever... I hope you find it, and I hope you don't take any hints from the idiots on Discovery... Other than to get a proper operation going..
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Radar
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by Radar »

Since mining is my job I have to say those Discovery guys would either be dead or in jail in a real MSHA approved mine. Just got my new Federal book and they break almost every rule in there!
Radar
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

Hello Mark,
Now you are almost on the west coast....maybe Mollie and Maggie could show off together....Wish you all the best with your new move.
Regards Brian T
Attachments
Maggie.JPG
Maggie.JPG (86.93 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
Maggie 1.JPG
Maggie 1.JPG (94.96 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Glad to hear Molly is up and running! Sounds like you've got new trophy hunting territory :D . Good luck on your move. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Brian T wrote:Hello Mark,
Now you are almost on the west coast....maybe Mollie and Maggie could show off together....Wish you all the best with your new move.
Regards Brian T
Thanks for posting those pics Brian. It gives me something to work with in trying to restore Dad's back fenders. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body

Post by mbailout2 »

I want to thank all you guys for the good wishes.

Don’t know much about the Discovery guys. I’ve spent several days on line gleaning demographics for the state of Arizona and all its counties, cities and towns. That is why I chose Prescott in Yavapai County. Temperatures are good and it’s halfway between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

I contacted the Arizona State Department of Mines and Mineral Resources and ordered several Publications and Directories concerning locations of Placer fields, Maps, Laws and Regulations and gold panning. I also have the addresses of the local assayer’s office. I also have locations of vendors selling prospecting equipments. I got everything pretty well covered.

Thanks again Fellas.
Mark 8)
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Prescott gets snow in the winter and there is no way out without going through hours of desert. On the other hand the movie Billy Jack was filmed in the town square there.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

mbailout2 wrote:I want to thank all you guys for the good wishes.

Don’t know much about the Discovery guys. I’ve spent several days on line gleaning demographics for the state of Arizona and all its counties, cities and towns. That is why I chose Prescott in Yavapai County. Temperatures are good and it’s halfway between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

I contacted the Arizona State Department of Mines and Mineral Resources and ordered several Publications and Directories concerning locations of Placer fields, Maps, Laws and Regulations and gold panning. I also have the addresses of the local assayer’s office. I also have locations of vendors selling prospecting equipments. I got everything pretty well covered.

Thanks again Fellas.
Mark 8)
My best to you Mark. Good Luck in your new surrounds.

Tom
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

My land in Pine Grove, CA was part of a gold mining operation 160 years ago. Still today the largest industry in Amador County is gold mining.
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Hey Mark, i'll echo everyone elses sentiments regarding your move, and envy your opportunity to make a change in how you spend your days. Change must always be constant, lest we settle into a mere existance, so good on ya.

My eldest son was in prescott for a bit and he really liked the demographics and the friendly attitudes. If you like a slower pace rather than the big city hustle and bustle, you'll like quiet little Prescott.

I might be quizzin' ya eventually about those assorted shims you used. I really want to make sure i've done everything i can to get this diff right before i put it back on the road. Probably shouldn't have sold my spare 5:14 so soon.

I tell ya what though. You and Brian gettin' yer trucks together would make for a swell photo-op. Yers and his are two outstanding examples of simple function, and terrific execution on restortation. Sadly, were not workin' with Duesenburgs here, but they are certainly a great old worktruck, no?

Oh hey, if you ever want to have a look at yer potential pannin' areas from on high and feel like you can spring for some av-gas, give me a holler and we'll do some airborne recon. :)

Happy huntin'.
Everybody likes pics.
E.Moore

Re: GOLD!

Post by E.Moore »

Everyone still thinks to go west to get Gold, but there is still plenty of it here in North Carolina. It is in the creeks and rivers and a lot of it is still found in the abandoned Gold mines. The largest deposit of Gold in the USA was found just east of Charlotte before the Gold rush out west took place, and the old Gold mines are still uncovered under the skyscrapers in downtown Charlotte from time to time. There was so much Gold in Charlotte, that a US Mint was built and a $10.00 gold piece was minted for coinage. I know several guys who spend their weekends panning for gold, and both of them have shown me mason jars full of it. I ask them when they are going to cash it in and they say that stuff is going to be their retirement money. One guy not to far from me has nuggets in his house that he uses for door stops! I tell him to put it in a safe deposit box, but he says there's more where those came from. The guys who run earthmoving equipment are always looking at the ground to find Gold when it is uncovered and practically all of them say that they've found some at one time or another. The only Gold I've ever found are old rusty Model AA's sitting under oak trees or behind barns.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Chris Haynes wrote:My land in Pine Grove, CA was part of a gold mining operation 160 years ago. Still today the largest industry in Amador County is gold mining.
I basically grew up about 10 miles as the crow flies from Pine grove, River Pines. Watched a lot of small time mining operations start up every spring on the Consumnes River. Most could have used a truck to haul lumber for sluice boxes. A glass container about the size of a roll of quarters filled with water and a few small flecks of gold was all I ever saw as a result of all the labor.

Hey, that was a long time ago and there are a lot more methods of moving dirt than there was back then. Although, the last time I was up in that area, it looked like a green thumb was more the mode of operation. Wine and Grass.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Shorthaul wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:My land in Pine Grove, CA was part of a gold mining operation 160 years ago. Still today the largest industry in Amador County is gold mining.
I basically grew up about 10 miles as the crow flies from Pine grove, River Pines.
I am a mile and a half from Volcano, CA. During the 1850's the census only counted white adult males. No women, children, Indians, Mexicans, or Chileans. The population was over 5,000 making it the largest populated city in CA. Larger than San Francisco. The gold petered out and everybody left. Today Volcano is a sleepy little town of 80 souls. :D
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:I am a mile and a half from Volcano, CA. During the 1850's the census only counted white adult males. No women, children, Indians, Mexicans, or Chileans. The population was over 5,000 making it the largest populated city in CA. Larger than San Francisco. The gold petered out and everybody left. Today Volcano is a sleepy little town of 80 souls. :D
I finally get where you live Chris, why I thought you lived south of Bakersfield I have no Idea. My dad took me and my 2 brothers Gold Panning near West Point on the Mokelumne River and other creeks, we got a couple flakes and went back again one time. A very favorite memory of mine...Sleeping in the back of the old Chevy Nomad Wagon, eating on the Coleman, and being with my Hero...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org