Brake linkage shaft, rear on a '29

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rugb
Model Year: 1929

Brake linkage shaft, rear on a '29

Post by rugb »

These parts are from a '29 AA that I am restoring. Does someone have the answer as to how snug this shaft should fit into the hole it goes into? As you can see there is quite a bit of wear and plan to get the shaft built up and hole bushed or sleeved. Or is there supposed to be a bushing in there originally? Thanks
Attachments
P1010061.JPG
P1010061.JPG (69.5 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Brake linkage shaft, rear on a '29

Post by Neil Wilson »

rugb,
Each AA emergency brake lever requires a pair of bushing (four per truck). These are made of brass. I see the Mac's has them listed for $44.75 (4). They may or may not have any available.

I may have a set of these to sell. But, I would have to check when the weather warms up some (maybe early next week).

Attached is a picture of a pair of these bushings. Note there is a rounded groove in the center of the bushing for the ball on the lever.
Attachments
AA-2644 Emergency brake laver bushings.jpg
AA-2644 Emergency brake laver bushings.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brian T
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

Hello rugb,
They have those bushings at Snyders $32-75....or Brattons $28-90 - not sure why Mac,s want so much?, but I do have some questions for you Neil.

Did the original bushing fit full circle within the radius rod?, as the ones I got last year are loose and apparently are a bushing that they cut in half, I realize the ball holds them in, but you end up with an oval shape bearing surface.

Also have you found a source other than the vendors for the cam shaft and lever bushings, and maybe the grease seals.

rugb , excuse me for highjacking your thread, but I thought this would be helpful in case these are other parts you may need.

Regards Brian T.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Brian,
All of the bushings that I have see are split. There would be no way to install a solid bushing onto the shaft. The split bushing fit snug to loose in the hole (not tight) as I remember.

I have actually never looked for cam shaft or lever bushing since I have had used part to use.
Regards, Neil Wilson