Best Source for Service books and bulletins?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Best Source for Service books and bulletins?

Post by spectria »

Could someone tell me/us the best source for these gems- The Service Letters/Bulletins, and any other books that are best to have for building/maintaining AA's.

I know there is allot of documentation I should have. Anybody care to give me a list?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Best Source for Service books and bulletins?

Post by vtwinsideways »

I got mine from Ron at

American Motorabilia
3959 Hwy 83
Good Hope, GA 30641-2413

770-207-1255

The 1928-1931 and 1932-1937 Service Bulletins were on CD and $33.08 shipped. I received them in a couple of days. Ron's a really nice guy. You can get the 1928-'31 in paperback for a little more, but when I ordered he didn't have the 1932-'37 in print copy. It is important to get the '32-'37 as well because Ford continued to issue service bullitins for the A and AA thru '37 and these will not be found in the '28-'32 bullitens. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Dave, You are also going to want the Chassis and Parts list book. Someone else will have to post the real name for it, but it is what is referred to commonly as the "green bible". It contains exploded views and parts names for all we hold holy. WARNING!!! It is not the green "Ford Model A/AA truck Owner" book- this book is a great read on the toilet or to put on a coffee table, but is of very little use otherwise. I wasted $27.50 thinking it was the "green bible." It is also not the green "AA Truck Suppliment to the Restorer's Model A Shop Manual", although this book is helpful to have along with the "Restorer's Model A Shop Manual." It is a confusing world where all AA books seem to be green! I think it's a conspiracy to sell books to us soreheads that prefer trucks. By the way, if anyone finds a spare copy of the real "green bible", I could use one also. Luke
Luke in Illinois
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Most of the books in my last post are available through Bratton's Antique Auto Parts, Mike's A-Ford-Able Parts, Snyder's Antique Auto Parts, Mac's Antique Auto Parts, Midwest Early Ford and possibly Sacramento Vintage Ford. These are a few of the larger "A" outfitters in the States. There are many other Mom and Pop shops throughout the country that are worth finding for their stashes of rare (and sometimes NOS) parts and their often lower prices and cheaper shipping. Sadly, the hobby lost a great shop here in Illinois when Rainmaker Ron Cloat sold Old Standard Auto Parts. The new owner was not as competent as Ron and I'm not sure they are still in business. I called at 10 till 5 one evening and the young fella didn't have time to take my order, asked me to call back in the morning. I haven't called back and that was over a year ago. The kid's had the shop for almost two years and no one has seen a catalog for them yet. His website was only up for a month or so and his Facebook page hasn't been updated since last summer. I had the opportunity to buy the shop along with 2 friends who Ron offered it to and I wish I had. Being laid off this winter has really changed my opinion of that investment. Luke
Luke in Illinois
mbailout2
Body Type: grain body
Model Year: 1930

Post by mbailout2 »

If you have gotten the last copy of THE DOUBLE A'ER, published April 2010, Inside the front page is a long list of AA Information Sources. A looong list!

Mark 8)
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

mbailout2 wrote:If you have gotten the last copy of THE DOUBLE A'ER, published April 2010, Inside the front page is a long list of AA Information Sources. A looong list!
Mark 8)
Thank you Luke and Mark, I just opened that AA'er and Whoop, There-it-is!
DUH! :oops:
Thanks again Neil...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

The book that every Model A/AA owner should have is now available on CD-ROM through Amazon.com for $21.95+shp. Dave this is the one I couldn't remember the name of. Exploded views and names/numbers for every part. 1928 thru 1948 Ford Chassis Parts and Accessory Catalogue (CD-ROM)
Luke in Illinois
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Just remember that a 1948 catalog is going to show what was available in 1948 and this does not reflect what should be on a given month/year of AA. Having the exploded views of assemblies would be a nice feature.
Regards, Neil Wilson
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Should I also dissreguard all of the A/AA Service bullitins that were issued from 1932 through 1938?
Luke in Illinois
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Luke, I don't think that is what Neil meant. I have 32, 37, and 48 parts books
and the 48 is nice to see what later parts fit the AA but I think the 32 and 37 books
cover the AA parts better and have pictures that show the AA parts better.

Bob
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

I think Neil was speaking to those who are concerned with building a truck straight from the Judging Standards.
Thanks for the info on the different printings Bob. If that's the case, I think I'll get the cd and keep looking for an early print copy to get also. Does anyone know if the early printings of the Ford Service Bullitins also have more A/AA info? Than the '38 printing?
Luke in Illinois