early 28 brake drum

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bert
Model Year: 1930

early 28 brake drum

Post by bert »

Hello Neil, Hope I'm not bothering you with these questions. Let me try to explain. I have this early 28 AA I'm trying to rebuild. If I can get the rear brake drums straightened out, i can put toe brake rods on and adjust them and be done with chassis. Picked up the rear ons this morning and they could only do one. The one couldn't be done because the studs were loose and it wouldn't stay true to turn.Have to remove the hub to clean between the parts. Brake place says they can do the drum by itself by chucking it in the machine and setting it with a dial indicator. Find nothing in my books on how to separate the hub. I already pop ped the rivit that holds the race befor I looked in the service bulletins and found that I might not have to do that. Have you come across this type of problem? The few people by me with "A"'s know nothing about this. I'v tried som of other site arcives but Im probably using the wrong thing. Somebody out there please giv me your knowlege. Thanks to all if you can."AA" to ya's---bert Hi, found it and i'll try to post again. evan w/ typos
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

AA Rear Hub and Brake Drum Assemblies:

The AA rear hub and brake drum are held together by the five hub bolts. For '28/'29 AA's, the hub bolts are inserted from the inside of the hub and swedged in place (like the A's). For '30/'31 the hub bolts are inserted from the outside and held in place by a nut on the inside.

To disassemble the ‘28/’29 AA assemblies, the hub bolts need to be pressed out. They can not be swedged back on. However, these hub bolts need to be reused because they are not being reproduced as far as I know.

When reusing these hub bolts, they need to be held in place so that they do not fall out or turn when replacing the wheel. The bolt heads can be tack welded to the hubs using as little weld as possible since they may later need to be removed for repair. The hub nuts will hold everything together once the wheel is on.

I have yet to see a '28 AA which does not have the left hand brake handle and not emergency brakes. My December '28 AA chassis is this way.

The part number was AA-1115 for the rear hub and brake drum assembly without emergency brakes. AA-1115 became AA-1115-AR when the AA-1115-B assembly (with emergency brake) was placed into production. The AA-1115 and AA-1115-B assemblies used right hand hub bolts and nuts on both sides of the axles.

As of February 15, 1929, new front and rear hubs were placed into production with right and left hand wheel nuts. These two assemblies were assigned part number AA-1113-B and AA-1114-A.
Regards, Neil Wilson