how do I download a picture on avatar --

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis
Model Year: 1928

how do I download a picture on avatar --

Post by Harry Lipki »

Some of you guys have some cool shots with your names . I cannot get the picture to load --keeps saying it's too big . I've shrunk it done to nothing and still will not take . :?
Hopefully some one can help :D
REM
Model Year: 1930

Re: how do I download a picture on avatar --

Post by REM »

There is a size limit that is allowed. I'm not sure what it is but I believe it tells you when you try to up load one.
Right click on the pic you want to use and then click on properties. You can see what the dimensions of the pic you are trying to upload is. If it is within the allowed size then something else is causing the problem.

I just tried to change mine with a (to big pic) and it said "The avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 19 KiB."

Check the properties of the pic you want to use and see if it is less than 19KB.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

If anyone knows how to use Photoshop and get a photograph to be less than 19Kb, please let me know the process. I have tried every way I know and can't do it. I think that there is metadata stored with each photograph and that might be the problem.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Okay - I found out how to save a photograph with a file size of 19KB or less using Photoshop:

EXAMPLE:
Open the photograph desired as an avatar (in Photoshop) - see attached (this photograph is 6” x 3.736” and 72 pixels/inch and has a file size of 33KB)

on the tool bar - click Image>Image Size - the Storage Size window opens:

In Storage Size
turn on Resample Image
in Document Size:
set Width to 1.5 inches
Height automatically changed to .931 inches in this example
set Resolution to 72 pixels/inch

on the tool bar - click File>Save for Web - see attached (this photograph is 1.5" x .931" and 72 pixels/inch and has a file size of 12KB)

Note: Save the avatar under a new file name so that the original photograph is preserved for other usage.

Using the Save for Web eliminates metadata stored in .jpg files. The metadata prevents a photograph from taking less than 19KB!
Attachments
xold Truck 3-4 front right.jpg
xold Truck 3-4 front right.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
WEBxold-Truck-3-4-front-rig.jpg
WEBxold-Truck-3-4-front-rig.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Harry, if you haven't figured it out yet, send a copy of the image to vtwinsideways@yahoo.com and I'll see if I can modify it for you. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

Neil Wilson wrote:Okay - I found out how to save a photograph with a file size of 19KB or less using Photoshop:

EXAMPLE:
Open the photograph desired as an avatar (in Photoshop) - see attached (this photograph is 6” x 3.736” and 72 pixels/inch and has a file size of 33KB)

on the tool bar - click Image>Image Size - the Storage Size window opens:

In Storage Size
turn on Resample Image
in Document Size:
set Width to 1.5 inches
Height automatically changed to .931 inches in this example
set Resolution to 72 pixels/inch

on the tool bar - click File>Save for Web - see attached (this photograph is 1.5" x .931" and 72 pixels/inch and has a file size of 12KB)

Note: Save the avatar under a new file name so that the original photograph is preserved for other usage.

Using the Save for Web eliminates metadata stored in .jpg files. The metadata prevents a photograph from taking less than 19KB!
Thanks for the info Neil . I tried to go on photo shop and it will not work on my system . I have Luke giving it a go for me . P.S. I never realized the caps on my lug nuts are pressed on .. learn somthing every day
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Harry Lipki wrote:Some of you guys have some cool shots with your names . I cannot get the picture to load --keeps saying it's too big . I've shrunk it done to nothing and still will not take . :?
Hopefully some one can help :D
Try this one:
Lipki Pepsi Truck.jpg
Lipki Pepsi Truck.jpg (10.14 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

Awesome ..... It works :D ...... thanks Luke and Dave ..... Not only are you AA guys but your also I.T. guys as well .......... Thanks Harry
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Harry Lipki wrote:Awesome ..... It works :D ...... thanks Luke and Dave ..... Not only are you AA guys but your also I.T. guys as well .......... Thanks Harry
Your welcome Harry, anything for another AA brother. :D
Luke in Illinois
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Harry Lipki wrote:Awesome ..... It works :D ...... thanks Luke and Dave ..... Not only are you AA guys but your also I.T. guys as well .......... Thanks Harry
Yes, you are welcome, BTW, I use a program called ACDSee Pro. It isn't as good as Photoshop, but I am able to add text, resize and reshape, photo repair and a hundred other things without learning PS, which my brain simply will not assimilate!
Also, someone on here recently said that if you want to resize any photo using a Windows PC, you simply go to "File" in the containing folder, then "OPEN WITH" and click on "Paint", which shows up on XP and Vista here at home.
Then once in "Paint" you can go to edit up at the top and there is a resize option.

For avatars here, it not only must be less than 19. something KB in size, it must not exceed 150 pixels side to side and up and down, basically it only allows a square. I had to crop your pic a bit on the left to get it to fit best and not be too small, while keeping the aspect ratio the same (you know width versus height).

I like doing that chit, so whenever...BTW, I am MUCH better at the computer than I am at making progress on my truck, #$%$#@#*&$$$!!!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

I've been using Paint for so long now that between it and Photo Editor Executable I can do most anything I could ever need. I imagine that the expensive programs would make my life much easier, but then it would be less interesting. Luke
Luke in Illinois