Latest progress report

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Latest progress report

Post by mikeg »

Made some more headway last night on the truck, nothing major but lots of little bits and pieces (which hold the bigger bits and pieces together) :)

Still waiting for the moly grease "spray" for the springs to arrive before I can attach the rear springs and axle to the frame.

Waiting on bearings for the differential pinion, and the drive shaft "speedo" bearing, after that the torque tube and support arms can be installed.

Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Brakes

Post by Bradshaw »

Mike,

The progress is great. It looks like the truck is really coming along. I noticed the rear brakes on the passenger side of the truck. I'm getting ready to re-work my brakes. Is that original type brake lining material or the modern bonded material?? How thick is that lining?? Did you install the lining or have it done somewhere?? Thanks, BrAdshAw
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: Brakes

Post by mikeg »

Bradshaw wrote:Mike,

The progress is great. It looks like the truck is really coming along. I noticed the rear brakes on the passenger side of the truck. I'm getting ready to re-work my brakes. Is that original type brake lining material or the modern bonded material?? How thick is that lining?? Did you install the lining or have it done somewhere?? Thanks, BrAdshAw
I haven't gotten to the brakes yet, but will probably be in the middle of that in about 2 weeks. I have all of the shoes ready to go out and have them relined.

I decided to not reline them myself, figured that would save me some labor and the cost wasn't that bad (about $30 per wheel).
Rosenkranswa

Bonded Linings can be thicker

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I used a set of the new bonded linings on my '30 CCPU and they were definately thicker than the woven linings. I had to do some filing on each shoe to get the drum over them. I would imagine if you have a place that will arch your shoes to the drum prior to installation (Bratton's will do that now, but didn't when I was doing the work), that probably would take them down enough.

They do seem to work pretty well.

Wayne in Malvern, PA