Mounting tires to wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
James A Lake
Model Year: 1930

Mounting tires to wheels

Post by James A Lake »

Question, is the split in the split ring supose to be in any location in relation to the tube fill or tire name? Also, I have Firestone High Speed 6.50-20 tires and the side walls have different profiles. One side has about a 1/2" ridge near the top. Any thoughts as to which side out? Thanks
Radar
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1929

Re: Mounting tires to wheels

Post by Radar »

years ago when I worked at a tire shop we always placed the split in the lock ring at least 1/3 of a turn away from the valve. the ring on the bead is probebly the outside,and the serial number on the tire should be on the inside. hope this helps. Radar
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

Back in the day (mid to late seventies) I worked at a small truck stop on the interstate. I thought that we always used to mount truck tires with the split in the snap ring at the valve stem. That is how we mounted the Firestone 600 x 20 Deluxe Champion tires on our truck. But now that I think of it, Radar might have a better idea, because the loss of weight from the split in the ring might help to compensate for the slot cut in the rim for the valve stem. We mounted the tires with the extra rib to the outside, which put the tire info on the outside, and the VIN on the inside. Could the extra rib been for optinal whitewalls? Don't know if its right but that's how we did it.
Tom H
Attachments
bweblockringlocation.jpg
bweblockringlocation.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
Bob from Northport
Body Type: 29 Fire engine

Post by Bob from Northport »

We just mounted new firestone tires on the fire engine we are working on. The raised rib you are talking about faces out. Place the break in the split ring opposite the valve stem location. Tie nylon tie downs around the tire and rim in two locations or more before inflating the tires, to protect you from injury in case the split rim comes loose or off. Face the tire valve to the inside of the rim, so anyone filling the tire is not exposed to the split rim coming off just in case.

Bob's Model A Ford Garage
Northport, Michigan
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Post by gunmetal »

That lip sticking out is for the white wall tires
James A Lake

Post by James A Lake »

Thanks for the info. They are safely mounted.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Attached is a Ford archive of a 1930 AA front wheel showing the tube valve stem and split in the lock ring.
Attachments
xP.189.8214_Ford1930ModelAATruck_12-15-1930 - crop 2.jpg
xP.189.8214_Ford1930ModelAATruck_12-15-1930 - crop 2.jpg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Regards, Neil Wilson