Cowl lacing, how?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

Cowl lacing, how?

Post by nreed »

I need guidance on how to apply cowl lacing on my truck. I bought "cowl lacing" from my supplier that is about one and one half inches wide in a ten foot long roll. I've seen pictures of cowls with a strip of material only about three quarters of an inch wide in the first channel on the firewall. The only place the lacing that I bought will fit is in the second channel. If their is a book or other information on this, I can't find it.

There are three small slots in the bottom of the narrow channel on each side of the cowl. Are these used in some way to hold the lacing?

Also, if the wider lacing is used, how is it held on down the sides of the cowl? Do you use glue or screws or????

All of the lacing was gone from the cowl when I took it apart so I don't know how to proceed.
Any advice or information will be welcome.

N. Reed
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

Re: Cowl lacing, how?

Post by Mike in Maine »

It appears that you have the wrong hood lacing. I have a part # for Brattons - 22420. It comes as a kit with the lacing and hardware. It fits in the 3/4 channel you mentioned. You will have to make holes for the screws. Lay it out in the channel and pull tight. Would be nice having an extra pair of hands. Work from top down each side as you punch holes and instal screws. There is a clip that hooks into the bottom of the cowl and then attaches to the lacing. If you need close up photos let me know. Good luck, Mike
Attachments
IMG_8134crop.jpg
IMG_8134crop.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
nreed

Post by nreed »

Got the correct lacing from Bratton's today. Do the 3 slots at the bottom of the channel have any thing to do with it? Also, I don't see the screws you were talking about. Do you glue this welting down or just rely on the tension to keep in place? Also, thanks much for your time and trouble.
N. Reed
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

The three slots are for a hook apparatus that goes on the end of the lacing. Mine is hooked in the top slot, I think the three are for adjustment if it gets loose. As far as the screw it goes in the hole in your top picture, in the indented section up near the top. it looks to me to be an easy job if you hook it one side, pull it over the top and down to opposite side and hook it in a slot. The hooks must be a separate item, if you can't find them I will get a better look at mine and let you know how they are made.
nreed

Post by nreed »

Just for your information, the hooks and rivets all came in the package that I got form Brattons with the welting. thanks again for your information.

N. Reed