headlight bar

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bert
Model Year: 1930

headlight bar

Post by bert »

Early this morn I drove about 1 1/2 hours to pick up an item (running boards) for my 26 "T" that I won on Ebay. They were pretty good and only 20.00. while there I looked at other things the gent had. Picked up a very decent set of head lights mounted on the bar. Good fluted lenses. Came home,and since the fender braces were already mounted I tried them on for size. Surprise. One or both braces were bent. Now how am I going to tie everything together? I havent tried the fenders on yet. I'm not really surprised. What will be the prosess for bringing the light bar together. someone has had this problem befor. Would you kindly let me know? Thanks.---"AA" to ya bert
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bert,
If this is about your T, I can not help since I don't know anything about T's. However, I don't think tha T had a headlight bar.

For an A/AA, you will need to determine what is bent first. I would bolt the front fenders on at the running boards and frame first. If the fenders are bent, then that needs to be resolved first.

I would then see how the fender brackets and headlight bar fit without the brackets bolted to the frame. You are going to want the fenders, brackets, and headlight bar to fix so that the headlight bar bolts can be removed easily for future maintaince.

With the headlight bar bolted tight to the fenders and brackets, the fender brackets should be fit to the frame and outer fender bead. This may require heating the brackets to allow the bolts to be inserted. If there is a slight miss alignment, you can push on the brackets to get the bolts inserted without changing the fit of the fenders. Once the brackets are bolted into place, then they can be heated the brackets and allowed them to cool. At this point you should be able the remove the headlight bar bolts with ease and the fenders should fit properly.

This process needs to be done before any body work!
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by bert »

Neil, sorry to get you mixed up.I'm playing with both a 26 "T" and a 28 "AA" AR truck almost at the same time. I won on Ebay, a set of running boards for the "T". When I picked them up he also had some parts for "A",s. I bought a set of head lights with the bar. When I tried them on the "AA" fender brackets which were mounted on the frame, I noticed they didn"t fit, meaning something was bent. I was curious as what step I needed to take to set everything in place and you have giving me this info. Thanks and tell your Mother you love her. Its Mothers day. "AA" to ya ---bert