29 AA Fender Clearance Problem

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Gerald
Model Year: 1930

29 AA Fender Clearance Problem

Post by Gerald »

I bought my truck (hopefully shown as an avatar on the left) basically restored. All I did was repaint the wheels and fenders and build the bed. My right front fender has plenty of clearance over the tire but my left front has only about a quarter of an inch and tire rubs it when I turn or hit a bump. I don't know if the body spacer blocks are too thin or what the problem is. I don't want to have to remove the body if I don't have to and was wondering if it was possible to add a spacer between the leaf spring assembly and the body to raise the entire body a small amount? Or would a better answer be to have the springs re-arced? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gerald
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Gerald,
The cab body blocks have no bearing on the tire spacing to the fenders. The fender bolt to the frame and there are no spacers or blocks. There is a problem with the front spring if you don't have equal clearance on both sides.

There should be a 12 leaf AA spring on the front. The spring tie bolt could be broken or a spring leaf may be broken to allow the truck to sag to one side. The spring could be worn out and need re-arched to give proper height.

The original front tires were 30x5 which are 5:00 x 20 in today's terminology. Most restorers are using 6:00 x 20 tires. This gives less clearance. 6:50 x 20 tires on the front will be a problem with clearance even if the truck is not leaning to one side.
Regards, Neil Wilson

contrary to previous post

Post by guest »

before suspecting the spring, ask if the frame sits level. If yes, perhaps the fender brace is bent downward