1933 Budd Wheel manufacturing defect?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
McKay356
Model Year: 1930

1933 Budd Wheel manufacturing defect?

Post by McKay356 »

At first look the wheel appears damaged. Upon closer inspection I think the wheel was manufactured this way in that the inner hub is a little smaller than the rim. When the two parts were riveted together, the center section stretched straight from rivit to rivit. There is not any excessive rust between the wheel and the rim. I would be very interested if any one has a Budd wheel with manufacturing date around 7-33 with this situation? This occurs most all the way around the wheel. If this wheel is defective and an isolated case, I will pull the ad for it from the forum. Anybody with wheels that have this going on?
Attachments
AAWheels,#1,#3006(Small).jpg
AAWheels,#1,#3006(Small).jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: 1933 Budd Wheel manufacturing defect?

Post by spectria »

McKay356 wrote:At first look the wheel appears damaged. Upon closer inspection I think the wheel was manufactured this way in that the inner hub is a little smaller than the rim. When the two parts were riveted together, the center section stretched straight from rivit to rivit. There is not any excessive rust between the wheel and the rim. I would be very interested if any one has a Budd wheel with manufacturing date around 7-33 with this situation? This occurs most all the way around the wheel. If this wheel is defective and an isolated case, I will pull the ad for it from the forum. Anybody with wheels that have this going on?
I have to look tomorrow...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I looked at a 5-33, 6-33, and 8-33 and they don't look like yours.

Bob
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

I think you have rust between the 2 sections of the rim. Rust is a powerful force, I have seen it push between two layers of modern dump truck double frames, that there was a 1/2 inch gap on the flanges.
From the pictures they don't look unusable, as long as the rivets are in good shape, and the rims are solid. If I were selling them I would give an honest description of their condition.
Just my opinion.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

I would have to agree with TomH. I think it is also rust that did that.

Red
McKay356

Post by McKay356 »

Well, I cleaned the wheel in my electrolysis tank yesterday and it cleaned up okay...except for the problem of the inner wheel pulling away from the rim which started this post. Yes, the rivets look good too, but wonder if the wheel is restored as is, would the rivets loosen up once the wheel was put into service? Luckily some restored AA's do not see many miles. A forum member who sent me a PM made a very good point that the rim should be separated from the wheel, any and all rust removed and the parts riveted back together again. Maybe someday I shall try that. Because the outer side of the wheel is absolutely rust free with no pitting, it is my opinion that with the back side facing up, and possibly left outside, moisture freezing along with some rust has caused this problem. The other two 1930 wheels I have left for sale look very good. One looks excellent. I will wait until I can clean them well and inspect before posting for sale. I am lucky in that my 28' wheels don't have any rivets. For now, the wheel will go into my mystery department along with some other items I wonder about. Great forum you folks have here.
Attachments
1934-17, 20 006 (Small).jpg
1934-17, 20 006 (Small).jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B

Post by Mike in Maine »

McKay356. I have seen a lot of AA wheels from 30's up through 32. The early style and the later style included. I have found your situation to be somewhat common. It is not a rare thing to find. I have noticed that rust has been a big factor. I have seen some with only a few sections lifted and some with lifting all the way around. I have purchased wheels of that nature without being to concerned of there usability. I had attempted to take one apart about a year ago. I took all the rivets out and tried to separate the two pieces. They did not come apart. I was going to try a press but never got back to it. It was just something I wanted to know if it could be done. Mike
McKay356

Post by McKay356 »

Hello Mike- Have you tried Mollasses or Electrolysis yet? Might work really well for loosening the two parts up. Can't help you any on how hard it is to install new rivets. In my first post I even had trouble spelling it correct. :oops: