Wheel drum puller

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Wheel drum puller

Post by mikeg »

Having trouble removing a set of drums from a AA rear axle. The brake adjusters are backed off all the way but no go. Heat and love taps with the 15# sledge isn't making an impression either.

Was thinking of fabricating a hub puller, has anybody else done this? I was thinking of taking to 1/2" steel plates 10x10" and taking one and cutting a hole in the middle to clear the axle and 5 holes to match the lugs and 3 tapped holes for all thread rod to a 2nd plate with just the 3 matching holes and one larger tapped hole for the main pressure bolt.

Seems like it would work pretty good. I think I'm going to try making one tonight, if I don't kill myself in the process I'll post pics of my contraption :shock:
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Wheel Drum puller (sucess!)

Post by mikeg »

Here is the puller I devised, worked really well when I put a larger center bolt in place. Just cranked that sucker down and gave it a few love taps with the sledge and she popped right off!

Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I actually saw a bona fide AA hub-puller for sale about 8 years ago from an old fella in Maryland. He was selling a number of tools, including an A puller which I did buy. Kick myself everytime I think about it now for not buying the thing then.