Pics of two 1929 AA's (190 Mb worth!)

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Pics of two 1929 AA's (190 Mb worth!)

Post by elfox »

I took the advice given on this website, and created a Photobucket account from which to share pictures. These pics are of my AA grain truck (dark green in color), and another AA that I stumbled upon while out driving yesterday. The gray one is for sale at a place here in Rapid City SD. If anyone is interested in the truck, I can stop by and get their telephone number. Just send me a PM and I will reply as soon as I get the info.

I haven't seen the helper springs that are on this gray AA before - kinda makes you wonder what this truck was used for back in the day!

I will keep updating the folder as my work progresses. Hope you like the pics! - elfox

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m56 ... odel%20AA/
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Pics of two 1929 AA's (190 Mb worth!)

Post by Chris Haynes »

Your link doesn't work.
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Hello Elfox,
Looks like you have a nice solid truck to work with .. are these pictures recent? .. if you are taking the cab off be sure to check the chassis # .. it would be nice if it matches the engine .. you mentioned on Apr 16 if you had the correct front spring perches ..

Quote (Do you know what the part# is for the AA perches? I just realized I installed the wrong ones in my '29 AA truck)

Here is one of your pics that shows it to have the correct ones ...
Good luck .. Brian.
Attachments
FRONT SPRING ELFOX.jpg
FRONT SPRING ELFOX.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
elfox

Post by elfox »

The spring perches shown are the old ones - the place where the shackles go through wore out the perches so badly that I had to replace them. My truck now has the perches for a Model A on it, unfortunately.

Once I get the truck to as close to mechanically perfect as possible, my plan is to completely strip it down and do a full restoration. It will take some time, but this old gal is worth it! BTW - her name is Elsie.

The pics of my truck (the dark green one) are from a few months ago. I have made many repairs since then. The pics of the gray truck were taken yesterday, 6 May '11.

The link is working on my end, but is anyone else having problems viewing the pics? If someone could please verify that it is working, I would appreciate it. I verified that the settings for photobucket are set to 'public', but maybe their site was down for a moment?
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Elfox,
Did you save the old worn perches?, if so can you post a picture to my Email address , I would like to have them if you dont want them, I have located a couple of axles that have them, just need to justify the trip to pick them up.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
elfox

Post by elfox »

Unfortunately, the old perches couldn't be saved. I snapped both off trying to get them out. Ended up taking the whole front axle to a machine shop to have the shafts removed.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

I have a pair of Maremount helper springs on my early '30 AA, reportedly adds another ton to the capacity. Our truck originally came from Iowa and I was told the tankers had helper springs and they used them to haul water and kerosene out to the steam combines in the field. When they got too wore-out for that, the tanks were removed and a flatbed put on, but the helpers were usually just left in place. Our bed has four sockets on each side rather than 6, which I'm told was for cattle racks.
elfox

Post by elfox »

Rosenkranswa -

I think you are right. If you look at the gray AA in the pics, you will see that the bed-to-frame bolts were reassembled in the wrong positions, and that some are missing. Obviously, this bed was removed at some time in the distant past, and could be for the reason you mentioned. I live in western SD, in the middle of many, many prairie farms. This truck could have been easily fitted for water and kerosene delivery.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks!

Great assortment of photos, Lot of info there and will be used by me and a lot of others I"M sure.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

Chris Haynes wrote:http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m56 ... odel%20AA/

The link still doesn't work.
Work's for me!! Great photo's. Have to try that one day!
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

must be your machine chris i just clicked through on your posting here in quotes and it went straight to it !

good luck on getting to the pics there are some great detail pics , i will have to get back to it later and check out all 84 of them good work posting the pics ..
elfox

Post by elfox »

Glad you appreciate the pics. The gray AA is the only one (besides mine) that I have ever seen, and I wanted to take lots of pics to compare my truck to. I hope that by posting these, other individuals will follow my lead and do the same. Hopefully, we can have a huge visual encylopedia to follow when restoring!
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
elfox

Post by elfox »

Chris - if you want me to send you the pics, try downloading a program called filephile - I use it to send pictures to family members all the time. Works great. I will send the pics to you that way if you like.

- Elfox

Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

OK, Tell me where that steering column support comes from?