AA wish bone

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

AA wish bone

Post by gunmetal »

If a wish bone ball is wore down but still in solid working shape, its ok to use as is with rubber boot.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA wish bone

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Hello Gunmetal,

Moving the wishbone ball up and down, such as using the rubber ball on it, can change the front axle caster. May change the way the truck steers and handles.

Keith
85930tudor
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

Post by 85930tudor »

I have used a spacer type washer with good luck if the ball is not worn too bad.also they make a replacement radius rod socket that takes up some of the slack. Good luck
.......Dave
85930tudor
Body Type: AA

Post by 85930tudor »

I have used a spacer type washer with good luck if the ball is not worn too bad.also they make a replacement radius rod socket that takes up some of the slack. Good luck
.......Dave
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by captain marty »

I’m working on my 28 radius ball (wishbone) also. I’ve read that the ball should be kept as close as possible to the top cap; this keeps your front caster setting where it should be. Adjustment can be made on the bottom cap. You can form a shim from a thin fender washer and insert it in between the ball and bottom cap.
Marty
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

not to sound rude, but why not just weld/braze it up, and file/grind it to shape? THere isnt that much load to worry about heat fatuige from welding.
Bladehorse
Body Type: 185-A

Post by Bladehorse »

On another note, 1/8" of wear can probably barely make 1* change at the axle at 4' away. I am however all for getting things as snug as they should be. Loose steering is dangerous and sketchy to say the least.(Been there and done that)
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

According to my 1930 Bear Alignment Manual, the '28-'29 AA's only had a 1 degree caster to start with, not 5 degrees like the
A chassis. In November 1929, according to Ford Service Bulletins, the radius rods were lengthened 3/16 of a inch. This small increase in length changed the caster to 3 degrees. This was done to make the truck easier handling. The '30-'31 spec for the heavier front end further increased the caster to 3 1/2 degrees. On a '28-'29 truck, if you are only starting with a 1 degree caster to start with, a worn ball can reduce this down close to zero. Just trying to show that a small of amount wear can cause a harder steering truck.

Keith