No charge at ammeter

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

No charge at ammeter

Post by nreed »

Been working all day trying to find the reason my AA won't start. I finally discovered the hot wire from the starter to the terminal box was only making intermittent contact. Got that fixed but the reason for this post is the generator won't show charge. I've polarized the generator by touching the two posts together with a short wire for two seconds. I guess my main question is which side of the cutout switch does the wire from the terminal box go to. Les Andrews book shows the wire attached to the terminal opposite the pulley on page 1-3. On page 1-190 it shows the wire attached to the terminal next to the pulley. I think the wire was connected to the post next to the pulley when I tore it down but that was five years ago and a lot has happened since. Also, if the wire is attached to the post next to the pulley, how can the ammeter measure the charge when the output side of the generator isn't attached to it? I've checked the generator output with a hand held volt meter and it shows 5.5 to 6 volts. the generator was rebuilt resonantly so I think it's ok. Any and all help on this seemingly minor problem would be greatly appreciated.
I should add that I haven't wired the truck for lights yet so I'm only working with the ignition.
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: No charge at ammeter

Post by gunmetal »

not answering question. Were is Hartford at Iam from northern Indiana, Milford. Iam about 30 miles from ND.
nreed

Post by nreed »

Hartford City is 45 miles south of Fort Wayne straight down St. Rd. 3. About 15 miles north of Muncie, again straight up St. Rd. 3. I live one mile west of 3, 1.5 miles south of Hartford.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

There is a thread on Ford Barn right now that might answer some of your questions.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40026

Bob
nreed

Post by nreed »

Thank you for the link. That answers the question about where the wire goes and the charging sequence. Also found that the repair job on my generator was only half done and that half wasn't done right. The shop that did the work did not undercut the armature and they had the cut out switch shorted. They are now out of business so I won't deal with them again. Now I can proceed with putting the dash together without worry that it might have to come back apart to fix a faulty ammeter gauge. This forum is worth it's weight in gold for people like me!!!!!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

nreed wrote:Thank you for the link. That answers the question about where the wire goes and the charging sequence. Also found that the repair job on my generator was only half done and that half wasn't done right. The shop that did the work did not undercut the armature and they had the cut out switch shorted. They are now out of business so I won't deal with them again. Now I can proceed with putting the dash together without worry that it might have to come back apart to fix a faulty ammeter gauge. This forum is worth it's weight in gold for people like me!!!!!
Interesting that you report the company out of Business and the gen only put out 6 volts, it should be more than 6.5 volts in a 6 volt system. Also I don't think the polarizing technique you mentioned is correct, but my memory is gone on it exactly.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org