Budd Wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Cramsey2280
Body Type: 89-A
Model Year: 1929

Budd Wheels

Post by Cramsey2280 »

I just came across a couple budd wheels and was wondering if they would work on a 30/31 AA project I am working on. The wheels are dated 1933/1932. I believe they will work because of how early they are. I remember hearing someone say that they will work as long as it is before 1934. Any help would be appreciated.
Charles Ramsey

1929 Tudor "Police"
1929 AA Express
1930 Huckster
jtw
Body Type: Service
Model Year: 1928

Re: Budd Wheels

Post by jtw »

I can not answer with first hand knowledge, but I do know that the two things you have to measure are the size of the center hole and the bolt dia. & pattern. I have some 30/31 AA rims that the outer part is rusted beyond safety but the center part is good and I have some 30's rims that the outer part is good but the inner part the center hole is too large and if I remember correctly the bolt pattern or size is different. I was going to take the rivets out of the AA rims and use the center part with the outer part of the later rims (they are the same as the AA rims). I haven't acturally done the work yet and probably won't until I need them, so there might be snags to this plan.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

They should work, Ford went to the floating axle in '34, so they changed the rims, like jtw said you can measure the bolt pattern to make sure. jtw: It would probably be easier for you to trade rims with someone that has the correct rims or sell yours and buy the ones you need. I don't know if I would take rims apart to use on the road. Just my $0.02.

Red
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

They used two different rings with the later wheels, a split one like the AA and a solid one
and they are not interchangeable. Be sure they have the right rings with them.

Bob