wheel lock rings?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bigA
Model Year: 1930

wheel lock rings?

Post by bigA »

If the old lock rings on the wheels are badly pitted or dented, are there new ones available or what does one do? I took a wheel to a few tire places and they wouldn't even let me take it out of my truck. Scarry! I got it apart ok and got the new flap, tube and tire installed with no problem. I aired up the tire with the lock ring facing the ground to about 15-20 pounds and then tapped around the ring with a rubber hammer to make sure the ring was well seated before inflating to full pressure. Anybody got a better idea on dealing with these wheels?

Thanks,

Big A with a '30 wrecker to be
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Lock Rings

Post by Bradshaw »

Howdy,

I'm not that far along with my truck yet, but I've heard others asking the same question.

One suggestion was to use a couple of pieces of heavy chain. Run the chain through the openings in the rim, around the tire and ring, and fasten together with a bolt. I'd use a grade 8 bolt.

These chains will hopefully keep the snap ring from flying off. As an extra precaution, you may want to turn the tire face-down, as you've already done.

Stay safe,
Bradshaw
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yes, most shops will not work on split rim wheels. My process for mounting a new tire is about the same. I make sure that the slot for the removable flange is completly free of any rust built up (in addition to the removable flange. After about 20 lbs. of pressure in the new tube, I turn the wheel over and use a block of hard wood and a heavy hammer to set the removable flange in tight.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Vicky

Split rim wheels

Post by Vicky »

I had a flat on my AA as I was driving. The split ring flew off - I never found it - but it could have gone through some one's windshield.

Any ideas on this aspect of the problem?

I'd like to find other wheels to use for driving - any ideas on that?

Thanks very much.

Vicky
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

If the tire went flat first, followed by the ring coming off, then it may have just gone to the side of the road. If the ring came off due to presure, then it could have traveled a considerable distance and with lots of force.

I don't know of any rings currently for sale.
Regards, Neil Wilson