Tough Drum Blues

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab
Model Year: 1931

Tough Drum Blues

Post by stufferdarwin »

Anybody got a suggestion that isn't spelled c-u-t-t-i-n-g t-o-r-c-h???
My left drum came right off but I can't get this one to budge. That's a 6 ton jack, and it's just bending the 3/8ths steel plate.
The drum turns freely, you can just hear it whispering against the shoes. I put enough pressure to slip the seals in the jack.
I thought I could pull anything with that puller, but I was wrong..........Again.
Thanks guys
Darwin
Attachments
Toughdrum2.JPG
Toughdrum2.JPG (67.91 KiB) Viewed 8030 times
Toughdrum1.JPG
Toughdrum1.JPG (66.85 KiB) Viewed 8030 times
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Tough Drum Blues

Post by gunmetal »

With all that pressure on it did you try to turn axle. By turninng the tire on the opposite side. Good luck hope I don't have that problem.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I think your jack is way to small, check out these links for some ideas.
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.ph ... ller#p6417
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.ph ... rum+puller
The second thread is about six pages long.

Bob
elfox
Body Type: 88-A

Post by elfox »

Nice setup to try to get it off. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything other than a B-F-H. You've probably already tried this, but have you tried gently beating around the edge of the drum with a sturdy (heavy) piece of wood? If that doesn't work, then use a hammer, but put some wood inbetween the hammer and the drum to prevent damage. This should be a last resort, as it could cause drum damage if done too hard. Good luck.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Does the drum turn after you start applying pressure? I'm thinking that if it stops turning there may be a ridge worn into the drum that the edge of the brake shoe is catching on. Make sure that the brake are adjusted all the way in. Mine was catching on a ridge and I was able to get it off by heating the drum up with a torch and was lucky enough that it expanded just enough to get it off.
Dave
------------
Dave
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Darwin:

C4

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
stufferdarwin

Post by stufferdarwin »

What exactly is the culprit here?? there is not a lot in there to hang up. A seal, A key, Hanging on a shoe.!! I'm pretty sure it's not a rust and lack of lube problem because the other side came right off and had nearly new shoes. Bob thanks for the threads. My puller looks a lot like "mongo puller" but it looks like he used 1/2 in plate and mine is only 3/8ths. Pretty sure his jack is bigger. Got a real good tip about leaving the axle nut on during the pull. Crosscut; Yes the drum still turns with pressure on, so I guess I'm not hung on a brake shoe, but glad you mentioned that because I never thought of it.
I really don't know what to do except beef up the puller and get a bigger jack & hammer. I don't even want to think about what it's going to cost if I really break something, onward or offward I guess..
Thanks to all for the tips, I'll try everyone of them
Darwin
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

A sharp WHACK with a large hammer on the base of the jack should help.
stufferdarwin

Post by stufferdarwin »

Drew
C4!!! I sure hope it doesn't come to that. I'm so far into this truck most people very kindly don't even mention it in an attempt to same me embarassment.
Ok Chris, I'll try that also, actually that sounds real good!
Darwin
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

I'll second the sharp wack suggestion. Put the pressure to it and give it some wacks.
Dave
------------
Dave
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Keeping the nut on is a good idea. Just be safe.

Red
stufferdarwin

Post by stufferdarwin »

Bob C.
You were right, I put on a 12 ton jack and put on enough pressure to bend the plate steel at the jack base, then following the advice of Chris H. I gave it 2 sharp whacks at the base of the jack with a 20 lb sledge, not hard, just enough to jar it pretty good.. I left the axle nut on with about 1/4 inch play room, and it popped right loose and slid off. After examining everything I still can't tell what was holding on so tight.
That drum was taking the "body at rest tends to stay at rest" business real serious.
Thanks for all the tips
Darwin
REM

Post by REM »

stufferdarwin wrote:Bob C.
I still can't tell what was holding on so tight.
Darwin
It just locks that tight on the taper when it is properly tightened and left.
Once it moves it is completely free.
dyoungs
Body Type: AA

Post by dyoungs »

Hello,
I had the same issue a couple years ago..... if you check posts from back then there are all kinds of pictures... Yes... A BIGGER jack will help... A BIGGER hammer will help.... And a torch with a heating tip NOT a cutting tip.... Get a piece of 1 inch pipe about 5 feet long and slide it over the jack handle to give you more pumping power on the jack..... heat the bearing area not the drum part you will just be wasting gas and time it is the center bearing part that you need to get heated..... Good luck..
Dave
stufferdarwin

Post by stufferdarwin »

I guess I'll keep that ratty looking puller around. Sounds like it may need it everytime I pull a drum.
Darwin