Is it a sin...

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Adam Nielson
Body Type: 82-b with a 88-A(d2)
Model Year: 1931

Is it a sin...

Post by Adam Nielson »

to re-rim my rims away from split rims to a more more modern solid rim, keeping the original center and just having new outer balanced and centered ture.

Thoughts? yes / no

thinking this way due to lack of luck with finding a tire shop willing to deal with split rims and just the pure hassel of split rims.
Working on a 1931 AA 82-B Body with a 88-A(d2) platform

Seeking 4 more AA-1015-C [d1-3] rims
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

Re: Is it a sin...

Post by russ »

Howdy Adam. I believe these split rims are something that are still being used a lot today on trucks and other commercial equipment so you should be finding plenty of shops that can work on them. Also i've found that this type of rims make it easy for us folks to change tires quite easily without help (modern rims no nearly so easy), so long as we take the neccessary precautions so,s we don't get our head taken off.

These wheels are no more troublesome than a loaded gun, bad news if you don't handle it properly but not a big deal if you understand how to handle it.

Again, my opinion is there's no reason at all to change to some other style.

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

You would probably have to go with a wider rim which would cause the tires to rub side walls
on the rear and hit the brake rods on the front. I think some late 60's early 70's Dodge motor
homes had the same bolt holes as the AA.

Bob
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Any truck,commercial tire shop will do it, they still use the ring technology today, alot of farm and construction equipment use the ring also.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

The cost to have custom rims made should easily exceed cleaning up a set of good original rims. JMHO
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Adam Nielson
Body Type: 82-b with a 88-A(d2)

Post by Adam Nielson »

my bigest problem is that 3 of my rims are rotten by have good centers, Being that they are riveted together, i figured measure that back space, find someone that rolls 6X20 rims and just drop my centers in, set the back space and away i go ready for new rubber.
Working on a 1931 AA 82-B Body with a 88-A(d2) platform

Seeking 4 more AA-1015-C [d1-3] rims
NDTMAN
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1932

Post by NDTMAN »

If you can find any split rims availible are they kind of getting hard to find. I think I have found two for my 1932 BB truck and if you find some what is the going price for a good rim??
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by captain marty »

I was thinking the same thing. Would it be possible to make rims solid? If the rims were welded on, would the tires slip on like normal or are the rims too tall for the tires we use?
Its 104 right now.
Marty
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

If you have outers made, make sure you provide a drop center or you won't be able to work the tire onto the wheel.
Ford Truck Nut
Model Year: 1928

Post by Ford Truck Nut »

if the rim is rusted out, your probably want to re rim them withe the spokes, my advice is to upgrade to solids
John
"Bear Down, try Hard, and never quit, NEVER"
Tuff Headman
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

It can't be that hard to find good rims. We have piles of them. I guess if you find rims for $100 a piece, you're not doing too bad.

Red
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Reds34 wrote:It can't be that hard to find good rims. We have piles of them. I guess if you find rims for $100 a piece, you're not doing too bad.

Red
I searched and searched on Craigslist and finally caught a post for 6 dodge bud rims, and the measurements and pics showed the correct dimensions and serial number on the rims, so I bought them and they were 80 miles from my house. I went and got them, 6 perfectly good rims and rings (and tires, which we removed and he kept cause they were chit) and came back home. $100 total cash plus gas and tolls.

It can be done...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org