1st post, some bkgd, some pics, and spring source question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
caserider
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

1st post, some bkgd, some pics, and spring source question

Post by caserider »

Hi,
Long time follower, first time poster.
I inherited a '29 AA (I think it's a '29) about 10 years ago but haven't been able to do anything with it until recently. On the plus side of things, the engine is not frozen and can be turned over with the hand crank, the tires still hold air, water flows easily through the radiator w/o evidence of leaking, and most of the parts are still there. On the minus side, well, there's plenty of things that need attention before putting 6V to the starter and hitting the road. For example, the driver-side rear spring eye is broken. (This is the main reason why the truck was put into storage.)
model a 003.jpg
model a 003.jpg (87.37 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
model a 004.jpg
model a 004.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
I have the Jim Schild AA Truck Supplement book that has some good info about springs, but haven't yet figured out exactly which assembly is on the truck. This weekend I'll take a closer look and see if i can provide a bit more spring assembly detail...and also some overall pics of the truck as it was removed from storage. In the mean time, can anyone point me in the right direction to a reliable source for new/used AA rear leaf springs? MN, ND, SD, and IA are all easily accessible for me.

On a personal note, this is the vehicle my mother learned to drive with, and the smile on her face when my brother and I drove up to the house with it on the trailer was well worth the rescue effort. My current goal is to see her drive it again. So rather than restoring to showroom condish, I'd prefer to get it running and be able to enjoy driving it down gravel roads without concern for new dings or scratches.
Last edited by caserider on July 18th, 2011, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Re: 1st post, some bkgd, some pics, and spring source question

Post by 1crosscut »

Careful, this old rusty iron stuff can be pretty addictive. Once you start you may not be able to stop. Do you have any pictures of the entire truck?
Dave
------------
Dave
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Post by gunmetal »

Nice truck I e-mailed you, and my avator is my truck that I am restoring. Don't let that rust scare u there tuff and fun to work on and drive. My engine # *AA1955916* that matches the frame number. Book Model A/AA Ford Truck (Truck owner) By A. G. McMillan. Also there is the vol. 7 of How to RestoreYour Model A. These can be got at most part houses for Model A/AA parts. Good Luck with your truck and stay in touch, glad to have you with the rest of this AA'ers.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Your engine ID is for a March 1929 engine build month. And the AA prefix indicates it is an AA engine assembly (same as an A except for a heavy duty clutch). When an AA engine was replaced, it normally got an A engine. So, it is likely the your engine is the original.

From your picture it looks like your truck has rear fenders. Consequently removing the rear springs involves removing much more than you would think.

New springs are not being made. However, good used springs are not hard to find. You might have to buy a complete spring unless you happen to find someone with just the #1 leaf. That would make shipping very reasonable.

Your spring is the common 16 leaf spring used from early '28 through some time in '31. The spring assembly has the clamps on leaf #8. That was changed to leaf #9 in 1931 (sometime). Your rear spring pivot was used for most of '29. It has the spring clips inserted from the bottom of the spring up through the pivot. You may need a replacement rear spring seat. Once it is remove, it can be examined.

I am currently writing an article on servicing the AA rear springs. The following are a couple of paragraphs regarding AA's with rear fenders and long splash aprons:

Note for trucks with rear fenders – The rear spring pivots and the rear spring shackle upper bolts can not be removed with long splash aprons mounted on the truck. Hmm! – to remove the long splash aprons requires the rear fenders and running boards to be removed as well as the removing cab body bolts and lifting the cab slightly. Lifting the cab requires yet another set of parts to be concerned about – like the steering column bracket, floor boards, choke rod, hood and radiator support rods). Wow – No wonder why servicing the rear springs didn’t happen over the years on AA’s with rear fenders!
Also note that the ’28 and most ’29 AA’s have spring clips which extend up through the pivot from the bottom of the spring. So, the spring clip nuts are on top of the pivot (not below the spring like later spring assemblies). Removing the forward clip nuts is not going to be easy with the splash aprons installed.

This is all can be done - just a lot of extra dis-assembly work.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by caserider »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the literature suggestions and engine history information. Got the MacMillan book and the Clymer Service Manual/Owner's Handbook from a co-worker for free.

We did take some pics of the entire truck while putting it up on a trailer, but I didn't have a digital camera then. I'll try to find and scan some pics for a future post...but probably won't be able to upload them until late next week. If anyone is interested in anything specific, I do have some digital pics of various parts of the truck. Let me know and I will post them. The truck had a grain body and I have no information about the manufacturer. Hopefully someone here can help with that.

The truck does indeed have rear fenders with full running boards. Hmmm...I guess the extensive disassembly to replace the broken spring eye explains why a running truck was retired. I'm definitely interested in the rear spring servicing article since this will be one of the bigger hurdles to getting the truck moving on its own power again. Is this something that will be available to the public?

I definitely know what you mean about addiction/fascination with these old machines...I'm in the middle of rebuilding a John Deere Model M. (Another great project with limitless possibilities for fun.) That should be done in time to drive in the local steam thresher's reunion parade over Labor Day weekend. Then the AA will get lots of attention. Good times!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Welcome Aboard!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

caserider,
You are welcome to join the Ford Model AA Truck Club. There is a membership form at the club web site www.fmaatc.org

The newsletter (yearly) is sent to all members.
Regards, Neil Wilson
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

Post by nreed »

just a short note to caserider; Post all your digital pictures as we like to see other people's problems. It makes ours seem not so insurmountable.
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Post by gunmetal »

I should be able to weld up your bracket. need pics I have a 1929AA truck. your truck was made 3/27/29 will keep looking I have a chart to tell where your truck was made.
caserider

Post by caserider »

Found a couple more pics of the broken rear spring. One shows the broken spring along with a bit of the rear fender and running board sheet metal. The spring clip nuts are nice and close to where the running board and fender (splash guard?) meet.
broken rear spring eye-driver side.jpg
broken rear spring eye-driver side.jpg (209.91 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
The other is a partial view of the spring assy, but it shows how the running board hanger (terminology?) is routed under the spring assy.
IMG_8857.jpg
IMG_8857.jpg (201.43 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
EatonSpring
Body Type: Model A

Re: 1st post, some bkgd, some pics, and spring source questi

Post by EatonSpring »

To Neil and all others, leaf springs are still being made for the A's and the AA vehicles. We have all the original prints and can not only make these springs but just about anyother leaf and coil spring for older vehicles. We have been doing so since 1937. So no more junk yard hunting. www.eatonsprings.com.
Mike Eaton
President
EATON Detroit Spring, Inc
1929 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model AA Dump
1947 Ford Sedan Delivery
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Mike,
Why don't you post an example with the price? An example like the '28/'29 AA front spring which you can or have made.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by caserider »

Not having much luck finding a replacement spring so far. Thanks for the parts lead Mike.
caserider

Post by caserider »

Meant to post some pics of the whole truck a while ago but scanning glossy photos didn't work so well. So, I took some digital pics of the glossy photos. Here are a few.
Attachments
AA engine sans radiator and hood.jpg
AA engine sans radiator and hood.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
AA hood and radiator removed.jpg
AA hood and radiator removed.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
AA on trailer.jpg
AA on trailer.jpg (26.42 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I don't think you should burden yourself with this rusty old heap. Give me your address and I will remove it to save you grief. :D