original truck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
oldford
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

original truck

Post by oldford »

Please tell us what you can about this truck - year, body, original vs mod. What I think is that it is 1929 original with a few fixes: replaced roof covering and windshield. Gas tank appears to have been repainted at some time. Engine was overhauled in early '90s because it was stuck. Current owner is my brother, original owner was our g-grandfather. Two family members owners in between. Runs great. Some oil leaking that appears to be from transmission and the drive train at mid frame (what is that called?). Water pump shaft leaking and will be repacked.

Pictures here:

Last edited by oldford on July 25th, 2011, 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab

Re: original truck

Post by Boomer »

What a gem of a truck! You are going to make a lot of the AA guys jealous with that one.
It looks like you have a 1929 AA, 82-A Closed Cab with the 88-A Platform and 134-A Grain Sides. The long running boards and rear fenders were discontinued in July of 1929 so your truck must be earlier than that. It looks like someone added some stake sides above the original grain sides to get some other uses out of the truck, but otherwise looks like a solid original truck. You are a lucky man!
Last edited by Boomer on December 9th, 2011, 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Check the date on the lower left front side of gas tank panel under hood for the date of the truck!!!! Shelby, Sacramento.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

That is one of the nicest grain sides I have ever run across. I would just try cleaning it up, gie it a buffing and polish and just maintain it. They just don't come any better than that. Good luck and have fun.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

oldford,
Yes, great looking original '29 Ford AA truck (closed cab with 88-A platform and 134-A grain sides). And, yes the extensions above the grain sides are add-ons (not from Ford).

If you email your pictures to neilwilson2@comcast.net. I will use photoshop to lighten them up slightly to give a better view of the truck.
Regards, Neil Wilson
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Post by gunmetal »

Old Fart,
I would greatly be very happy if you wou send me pics of your truck. All of the pics please, my avator is mine so I am trying to collect pics of other ones to help restore mine. If you do I what to thank you right now. My e-mail address is terry_rose@yahoo.com please let me know what color your truck is.
oldford

Post by oldford »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Check the date on the lower left front side of gas tank panel under hood for the date of the truck!!!! Shelby, Sacramento.
No date found on the gas tank. Looks like the tank has been replaced awhile back. Not only is the paint on the outside a different shade but the engine compartment side of the tank has a different patina than the firewall.

However, the engine number is AA1672019.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

The engine number date is June 1929.

Red
oldford

Post by oldford »

Boomer wrote:What a gem of a truck! You are going to make a lot of the AA guys jealous with that one.
It looks like someone added some stake sides above the original grain sides to get some other uses out of the truck, but otherwise looks like a solid original truck.
The high stake sides still have cow manure on them! I hosed them down to get the dust off before driving it in a parade but I took care not to remove any of the manure. :) G-Grandfather was a breeder of Double Standard Polled Herefords and I have heard a story of him driving it from Phillips county KS to Grand Island NE where he bought/sold breeding stock.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

that is such a nice truck i thought it would be great to get the pics on this site so i hope the owner doesnt mind if you do let me know and i will edit and remove . thanks for the great look.
Attachments
lft r.jpg
lft r.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
lft frt.jpg
lft frt.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
face.jpg
face.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform

Post by rollingsculpture »

and 3 more.
Attachments
rt r.jpg
rt r.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
rt frt.jpg
rt frt.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
nreed
Body Type: 31aa

Post by nreed »

Knowing what I Know now about the Tremendous cost of a full restoration and if I owned your truck I would fix any mechanical issues, stop what rust I could and drive it. You absolutely have one of a kind! Enjoy.

N.Reed
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

nreed wrote:Knowing what I Know now about the Tremendous cost of a full restoration and if I owned your truck I would fix any mechanical issues, stop what rust I could and drive it. You absolutely have one of a kind! Enjoy.

N.Reed
Just when you think you will never see A truck like that!,There it is!,Looks very driveable.Add some fresh manure. Gramps would like that :lol:
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Post by TomH »

The truck is great, and the fact that it has been in you're family since new makes it 1 in a million. You have the best of both worlds, a non-restored AA, and if you clean it up, it will look like it is only 10 years old. :D
The mid drive train oil leak may be the dual high, (under drive).
Thanks for sharing it,and best of luck.
Also, hats off to Rolling Sculpture for posting the pics on this site.
Tom H
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
modeleh

Post by modeleh »

That's AA perfection right there. Thanks for sharing the pics. Have fun and I'm glad to see another one put back in service.