Generator question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

Generator question

Post by nreed »

I need to know which terminal on the cutout switch is the wire from the terminal box attached to. The man who rebuilt the generator said it should go to the terminal on the radiator side. I hooked it there and everything works. The truck runs well and the ammeter shows 5-6 amps charge. However, after seeing a picture on the Ford garage site, I noticed that their wire was attached to the opposite side. I don't have any lights wired into the circuit yet but the wire in the picture for their lights was on the same terminal as the wire from the terminal box. Is there a clear schematic of the wiring somewhere that I can look up? Thanks to anyone that will take the time to straighten me out on this.
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab

Re: Generator question

Post by stufferdarwin »

Mine is hooked up like the pics you have seen. That would be the the connector not physically connected to the generator case.
Everything works good for me. I'm thinking the way you are hooked up you may not be getting the benefit of the cutout, juice all the time???
wewodad
Body Type: 131 platform

Post by wewodad »

This is the way I've seen it rigged on AAs and As. It works fine and seems like it is correct. Ignore the rope hanging down. it is only for making sure the hood doesn't fall.

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... G_1579.jpg
nreed

Post by nreed »

I guess I don't know what you mean by juice all the time. the generator shows 5-6 amps charge when the engine is running and the meter goes to 0 when it is shut off. My cutout has one terminal on the pulley side and one terminal on the opposite side. There are two wires coming out of the generator case on the opposite end with one wire hooked to the cutout and the other hooked the screw that holds the cutout to the generator. I suppose the wire to the screw holding the cutout is a ground. I just don't want to fry something by hooking it up wrong when I wire the lights in. If the wire from the terminal box goes to the terminal on the opposite side from the pulley, what hooks to the terminal on the pulley side? By the way, the wire going the pulley side terminal is hot even when the truck is not running and the ignition is off.
nreed

Post by nreed »

I took two pictures (poor) that shows what I tried to explain in my last post.

SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

The wire out of the GEN. is the only wire on the back side of the cut out. The wire from the term. box goes to the front terminal on the cutout also the horn and light wires(one each) attaches to this terminal. Make sure that you have the cutout mounted correctly!!! Shelby, Sacramento.

Ereed you are hooked correct, only thing you need to do is fasten the white horn wire to where you have the blue connector on the radiator side of the cut out. you will be fine!
nreed

Post by nreed »

Thank you Shelby! That relieves my mind.

N.Reed
stufferdarwin
Body Type: ?? closed cab

Post by stufferdarwin »

nreed,
My generator is a different model than yours. My gen ouput is on the pulley side of the cutout. sorry if I got you confused. I agree with Shelby, you are hooked up correctly.