Gas tank valve leaking

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
johnnydidd
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1928

Gas tank valve leaking

Post by johnnydidd »

I have a small leak around the threads where the gas valve screws into the tank. What can I put on the threads to stop the leak?
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: Gas tank valve leaking

Post by Reds34 »

Well, you're going to have to take the valve out, so make sure that you're tank is empty. Be careful when you take the valve out to make sure that it doesn't break. I would use rectorseal or block thread sealant. You can get block at home depot and that is good stuff. What ever you use make sure it is compatible with gasoline.

Red
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Normally a brass valve doesn't need a sealer with a good seat of the threads in the tank. I would think if you have a 1/4 pipe tap,to chase the threads with oil on the tap threads to clear any rust from the threads in the tank. Don't chase the threads too deep or you valve may face in a different direction when tight, all is fine if this happens remove the valve and cut the threads a little deeper. Lube the threads on the valve with a thin oil like WD-40!!Shelby, Sacramento.
johnnydidd

Post by johnnydidd »

Guys, both you have great ideas, I took 1/4 pipe tap gently ran it in until I hit the bottom of threads, boy did that make the valve screw in easy, before it was binding. Nice fit, ordered from Brattons thread & head sealer, I figured I would use it also. I am not taking any chances of it leaking again, the smell of gasoline is not very pleasant and it stinks my garage.
Thanks again guys for your help. John
Rosenkranswa

Post by Rosenkranswa »

While you've got the valve out, and an order in to Bratton's, get one of the in-tank filters that fit in the top of the valve. I just put one in my '30 AA which has a small amount of crud/rust in the tank. The filter sits maybe 3/8 above the bottom of the tank and adds one more level of protection between the crud in the tank and the carburator jets.
johnnydidd

Post by johnnydidd »

I did that. Thanks John
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

John, What did the trick!!! Shelby, Sacramento.
johnnydidd

Post by johnnydidd »

Shelby, I havn't put it back together yet, I am still concerned about rust in tank and what to do? I may remove the tank and take it to a radiator shop. John