POR15

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

POR15

Post by flatford39 »

Want to get my chassis painted this summer so I can proceed with other work this winter. I read the search items on POR 15 and it just confused me more if this is the product to use or not. I am not building a show truck. Just something that I can put around in locally. My questions are these...Can you paint over the rust after doing there recommended preparations or is that a pipe dream. I have a sanblaster but the cost of media will be expensive on something this big. Can this stuff be shot out of a spray gun or is it better to brush it on??

My frame is in really nice shape and not pitted at all. If I can avoid the sanblasting I would really like to.

Thanks for any help.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: POR15

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Flatford39, Eastwood sell a great paint kit topaint over rust and converts rust to a primer to stop rust go to WWW.Eastwood.com and check it out Click on-rust solutions then CLICK ON RUST ENCAPSULATOR. This may be the best for you for the price!!!Shelby, Sacramento.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Flatford39, Eastwood sell a great paint kit topaint over rust and converts rust to a primer to stop rust go to http://WWW.Eastwood.com and check it out Click on-rust solutions then CLICK ON RUST ENCAPSULATOR. This may be the best for you for the price!!!Shelby, Sacramento.
Thank you Shelby...have you ever used it??? What has been your experience with it.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Yes, I've used it, very satisfied. #1 you said you frame is in good shape with no pits, for 80 some odd years I think it is well preserved with it's present state. And to seal what you have it will last another 80 or more years without rusting. Don't get me wrong POR15 products are great. You would have to remove the protection that you have now to put the POR15 on. and no one knows if the POR15 will protest the metal for 80 years? It's you choice. This is my $1.00 worth, hope it helps in your choice, maybe some one can add their $.02!!! Shelby, Sacramento.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

I've used POR15 on my F250 and plan to use it on my F350 when I take the bed off. I was impressed when I got some brake fluid on the backing plates and it didn't even touch the POR15. I think it works well. I haven't used the Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood, but I suspect it is pretty close to POR15, but that's just my $0.02. POR15 is fine to paint over rust as long as you get the loose scale off. I would brush the POR15 on rather than spray it just because it seems to go on thicker.

Red
nreed
Body Type: 31aa
Model Year: 1931

Post by nreed »

Not to be a skunk at the garden party, but if you read the instructions very carefully you will find that in order to spray POR-15 you should use self contained breathing protection. You don't have this problem when brushing. Also, I have a frame that I painted with POR-15 seven years ago that has been stored in an un-heated un-insulated open front shed and it is still in excellent shape. If you use POR-15 on any part that will be exposed to sun light you should top coat it with with regular paint or it will fade out. Hope this helps you decide.

N. Reed
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a
Model Year: 1929

Post by miner art »

nreed wrote:Not to be a skunk at the garden party, but if you read the instructions very carefully you will find that in order to spray POR-15 you should use self contained breathing protection. You don't have this problem when brushing. Also, I have a frame that I painted with POR-15 seven years ago that has been stored in an un-heated un-insulated open front shed and it is still in excellent shape. If you use POR-15 on any part that will be exposed to sun light you should top coat it with with regular paint or it will fade out. Hope this helps you decide.

N. Reed
I used POR. 15 it worked great. However I did sandblast Everything first. two 50LB. bags #30 did the whole work's
Art
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Art, you are right about POR15. If you get POR15 on your hands and it dries hardly anything will take it off your hands except time. One thing I know to remove POR15 from your hands after it dries is AVON'S "Skin so soft", will take it off with ease. I think the Rust Encapsulator would be best For Flatford39. He wants a good protection (which he already has 80 or so years) The rust Encapsulator will protest that and will cut his cost and time. Shelby, Sacramento.