New to Ford Model AA World

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
kensladybug
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

New to Ford Model AA World

Post by kensladybug »

Hi, my dad went to heaven June 6th and left me a 1931 Model AA Stake Truck. The truck ran in the late 90's when he moved it to Georgia and I will be moving it to Deer Island Oregon in Aug. I would like to restore it and get it running again but have no idea as to where to start and what should be done and what should be left alone. missing parts in the picture are in the bed of the truck as dad was starting to restore it. Any and all suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

[img]
truck as is in Georgia
truck as is in Georgia
camera 020.JPG (194.88 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
[/img]
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: New to Ford Model AA World

Post by gunmetal »

Welcome to the AA world of great things. First you need to deside do you want a driver or a show piece. This will make a difference with what you do. Are you able to work on it or not. If it was me I would start ready books on how to fix things on your truck, there are alot of books out there. All of us well help as much as we can. Good luck and nice truck Just thought I would tell you by the running board splash aprons you have a 1930. Take lots of pic's.
kensladybug

Post by kensladybug »

Books I can do, love to read. I am looking for a driver I guess, I would like it to look as original as possible, not real interested in a showy thing as much as just having it the way it was. that is what dad would have wanted.

Also, I cannot find the keys for it though I have a ton of keys, if I could get a picture of a key so I know what I am looking for it would be very helpful.

As for the year, I am only going by the title I have from Wisconsin, unfortunately they put a hole through the number on the title. will have to wait for numbers until I return to Ga. in August. Thank you for the input very much. will be getting some books soon. I have no problem working on it and have a Model A club in Longview Wa, I will be checking into also.
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Post by Drew Mashburn »

kensladybug:

You say you'd like to have a "driver". You might want to consider putting the front fenders back on the truck, other parts that have been removed, get her running, then drive it before you do anything else. You may find that it's so much fun driving as she sets, that you don't really want to tear her apart and not be able to drive it for some length of time. There's a lot of AA owners (including me) that wish they'd never disassembled their trucks.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
REM

Post by REM »

I have to agree with Drew.
You can get in together and running and then work on it as you want with out tearing it all apart.
If you want a large restoration project there is nothing wrong with that approach either.

Here is a pic of mine.
It often attracts more attention that the ones that are all painted up.

kensladybug

Post by kensladybug »

I totally understand!!! If by "driver" it means that I just want to be able to drive it and have fun, then that is exactly what I want. I rode in it in a parade sometime between 76 and 79 and we as a family had so much fun! I only have one son at home and he is looking forward to riding in it now and my daughter and son in law as well. I remember the fasination everyone had with the horn that goes ooga ooga. I would love to just be able to have it not fall apart but be very drivable for different things. The boards in the bed are badly dry rotted and my bother fell through them trying to empty the bed of all that was not model AA. The cab roof, I believe was leather, will need replacing and the floor boards. I have the shift handle here in OR and some spare engine pieces and there is a spare engine and transmission with the truck in GA.

Dad had said that all those trucks out there that are all shiny and pretty were not the original colors, that the trucks were mainly flat and brown black and some green. He would not want it shiny but just like it was and drivable.

thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely get it running and go from there with it.
kensladybug

Post by kensladybug »

Thank you Rem. I am getting more anxious to have the truck home now. I wil find some books on the engine and how to get it going and will match up the numbers on the frame and engine. I think if I get some oil in the engine and find the keys we may get somewhere quickly. Oh and some good gas might help. :)
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

kensladybug,

Welcome to the AA'ers Forum and I urge you to join the AA'ers Club. Neil will post soon the info to join, he manages the Club, He is the Chef (or is it Chief?), Cook and Bottle Washer!

Everybody here has tons of info and when they don't they will tell you where to go (find it)!

I have a 1930 AA Stake truck also, so I would be very interested in pics of the stakes just as they sit and any other pics you would be willing to share.

Welcome AA-Board!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis
Model Year: 1928

Post by Harry Lipki »

You have a very nice truck .... Good set of bones to work with ... I agree with Rem ... put her together and have some fun ... These trucks are a show stopper in any way shape or form ... Welcome to the club
towtruck
Body Type: service car

Post by towtruck »

what started out as a driver for me turned into a show truck that is a lot of fun to drive all over the place put it back to gather the best you can and take a lot of pictures on the way and enjoy your ride jerry
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

towtruck wrote:what started out as a driver for me turned into a show truck that is a lot of fun to drive all over the place put it back to gather the best you can and take a lot of pictures on the way and enjoy your ride jerry
Welcome to OREGON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Dad is proud of you!
kensladybug

Post by kensladybug »

spectria wrote:kensladybug,

Welcome to the AA'ers Forum and I urge you to join the AA'ers Club. Neil will post soon the info to join, he manages the Club, He is the Chef (or is it Chief?), Cook and Bottle Washer!

Everybody here has tons of info and when they don't they will tell you where to go (find it)!

I have a 1930 AA Stake truck also, so I would be very interested in pics of the stakes just as they sit and any other pics you would be willing to share.

Welcome AA-Board!

I will post as many pics as I can as I am sure I will need much help in getting things going.

I will be going back to Ga to arrange for the shipping of it back to Oregon, if anyone out there has any helpful hints on shippers/transport companies any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

kensladybug wrote:Thank you Rem. I am getting more anxious to have the truck home now. I wil find some books on the engine and how to get it going and will match up the numbers on the frame and engine. I think if I get some oil in the engine and find the keys we may get somewhere quickly. Oh and some good gas might help. :)
Sorry about the loss of your father.
Before you get too far in getting it started up I would suggest pulling the pan off and taking a look inside to see if the babbit is good and things are tightened up as they should be. Also be a good chance to see that the pan isn't full of gunk and such. A little extra work but you can learn a lot about the condition of your engine by doing this.
Dave
------------
Dave
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Congratulations on the truck. Sorry to hear about your father. Looks like a good truck you have there. For transporting the truck, you can talk to Trulyvintage. He posts on here pretty regularly.

Red
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Check this link to Trulyvintage;
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2850

He is always hauling stuff around!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org