Project update

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

Project update

Post by John - NNY »

Last week I pulled the cab, fenders, running boards off my 1930 AA long wheelbase truck. I found a barely legible serial number. My best guess is *AA3814417* which puts it on or after Aug 1930. I will restamp the number a few inches forward and keep the original number as is. Last thing on the frame is the rear axle and springs Progress is very slow due to work, wife, etc.
I have a second 1930 AA dump truck getting a frame up restoration at a local shop. Everything has been stripped, sandblasted, and epoxy primed. Rear axle was gorgeous inside. It just needed gaskets and seals. The frame and other parts have light pitting. The local shop is using a high build primer which fills most of the pits. Springs were primed, painted, graphite coated, and reassembled. I'm still looking for at tool to turn the spring pertches. I have several donor frames so I am able to choose the best parts. It makes restoration much easier. I'm having it restored to how it looked when rolled off the assembly line. Not a show truck or 500 point trailer queen, but as a mass produced work truck ready for another five or six decades of hard labor. I will try to post current pictures.
John
NNY
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Re: Project update

Post by Mike in Maine »

John, Nice to hear what you are doing. I am quite familiar of your situation when you say slow work. I have a '31 hand crank dump truck. The dump part of it I have been trying to identify. If you post pictures could you throw in some of your dump and tailgate. Mine is without one and am making one similar to an old photo I found. Do you know what you have for a dump?
Attachments
IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1960.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
IMG_2087.jpg
IMG_2087.jpg (86.22 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal »

Nice truck keep finding these all over the place. And how many more trucks will be survivers.
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

Here is a link to my gallery of Fords. The dump truck is listed under 'recent AA finds'. http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery ... rid=297159. The previous owner taught sheet metal fabrication in MA. He had his students fabricate new side and tailgate (likely paid for by MA taxpayers - thanks). Found the manufacturers name on the gearbox casting. If I remember correctly, it is an Anthony. PTO driven mechanical lift.
John
NNY
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello John,

You indicate:

"I'm having it restored to how it looked when rolled off the assembly line. Not a show truck or 500 point trailer queen, but as a mass produced work truck ready for another five or six decades of hard labor."

Note that an "assembly line type restoration" is, in fact a 500 point restoration. There are very few these types of restoration. Most restorations end up being "non assembly line restoration" for many areas and over restoration of other areas (usually the final paint finish).
Regards, Neil Wilson
wewodad
Body Type: 131 platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by wewodad »

I know what you mean about over restoration. I am hesitant to drive the 31 now because of that and have considered selling it. My mother told me a long time ago that when you get a new car that is very nice and it makes you hesitant to drive it to just take a log chain and whip it all over real good a few times. She said it will feel like a comfortable old pair of shoes after that. She was right!