AA express bed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Richard LeBlanc

AA express bed

Post by Richard LeBlanc »

I`ve got an AA bed I`m sure of because the AA tailgate fits it perfectly, but the sides have no indentation in them for wheel clearance. I`ve appealed to Neil Mylars kindness in an effort to get some documentation on the AA express beds and would love to acquire information on the different styles of express beds (if there are any differences in the years) and as many pictures as possible so I can start to build this bed. Help and pictures and history from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
madscientist_999@hotmail.com Richard LeBlanc ...............
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Richard,
The TT express body appears the same as the AA express body at first glance. The TT express body seems to be much more available than the AA express body. So, many times the TT body is sold/bought as an AA body.

The TT and AA express tail gates are the same except for the location of the two outside hinge straps (about 1-1/2" closer to the outer edges of the AA tail gate).

Post some pictures of your express body showing the tail gate, and the sills and cross sills.

The major difference between the TT and AA is the sill area of the bodies. The TT has parallel sills and the AA has tapered sill which allow the body to rest on the AA chassis frame.

There are many other differences between these two bodies including the presence of wheel wells for the AA express.

The Ford Model AA Truck Club April 1996 newsletter contains an article about the 89-A express body. This article explains differences in the AA express body from late 1927 through 1930.

The 1931 express body is a completely different design and is documented in the April 2005 club newsletter.

I just tried to post some pictures. But there seems to be a hangup and the pictures will not post. So, send me an e-mail at wilsmor@juno.com and I will send you the pictures.
Regards, Neil Wilson