Express bed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Express bed

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Does anyone out there have, (and can post) some pictures of an express bed?
I am interested in seeing how the are properly mounted to the frame.
Are there two versions of these beds for the 131" and the 157" Frames?
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Much obliged for any info.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Express bed

Post by Neil Wilson »

There were three express body designs. The first express body was used 1928 through 1930 and it is for the AA131 chassis. There were several design changes for this first body (including the mounting hardware). It was a steel body (sides, front, and tail gate) with wood floor. The second express body was used for 1931 and it is for the AA131 chassis. It has a wood floor and the sides, front, and tail gate are metal with wood lining. The third express body was for the 1931 AA157 and was the same design as the later body.

So, you need to indicate the year/month of your express?
Regards, Neil Wilson
Farrell In Vancouver

Thanks Neil, what I believe we picked up is a TT express and I don't think its going to work for us as the sub-rails are to close together to line up with the frame. I will post pictures as soon as I can so you and the boys can approximate the year of it and perhap I can trade it for a flat bed.
Farrell In Vancouver

Finally got around to taking some better pix of the bed that came with the second running gear.
The bed was modified to be used as a dumping trailer rather crudely, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. This is in very good shape and I am still undecided to adapt it for the truck or find a flat bed:
Strange tab on the gate, appears to be factory but what was its purpose?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The TT express body looks better than any I have seen. I don't see rust out in the sides where the floor boards would rest. If the sills are rust out free (once the dump body metal is removed), the that will be very unusual.

The inside shot of where the center pocket would be, shows that there is not elongated drain hole. It may be that the drain holes were added at some point in production. Does the front and rear pockets have drain holes. I have seen a similar tail gate bracket on two other TT bodies. The attached picture shows the drain holes and tail gate bracket.

Given a fair amount of metal work, the TT express can be converted to the AA express. I have a MS Word document regarding the TT/AA differences. If you send an email request I will send it to you.
Attachments
xIMG_6625.jpg
xIMG_6625.jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Farrell In Vancouver

Thanks Neil,
I see no rust out on the bottom pans nor on the sub-rails, but some stress cracking.
There are absolutely no drain holes in any of the pockets.
What to you believe was the purpose of the tabs riveted to the gate?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The TT came with optional canopy top and screen sides. There was a rod (part of the rear screen side gates) which extended through the hole on the top of the tail gate to keep the gates closed.

Your bracket looks to be a stop for the gates. The other two brackets I have seen do not have the extension above the tail gate. I am guessing that the extension was eliminated because it interfered with loading. I don't know why the bracket without the extension was used. This bracket was eliminated before the AA express started production as far as I know.

The mushroom center tail gate hinge and the hole in the top of the tail gate was not eliminated until early '30.
Regards, Neil Wilson