split ring wheel retainer

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
scl009
Model Year: 1931

split ring wheel retainer

Post by scl009 »

Welp it took me about 4.5 hours to get the tire off the first of my rims. I was a little tired from some yard work and it was my first one and it is the worst looking (rusted up) rim I have. Maybe the next 5 will go smoother.

Can't get the split ring to budge so I'm doing some electrolysis on it overnight tonight. Anyone know any magic tricks for gettin it off. I searched and a few people said they found some tools that work, but then they didn't really describe them or show any pics.
Attachments
wheel.JPG
wheel.JPG (115.18 KiB) Viewed 6098 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: split ring wheel retainer

Post by Bob C »

Here's a link to some tire tools http://www.kentool.com/catalogs/KTCatalogTireIrons.pdf

Bob
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

You need to soak that thing with a 50 50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Keep soaking it and tapping it with a ball pein hammer. It will probably take a month to free it up. that is how I got mine apart.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

scl009
Here is what I have done to get the tire off the rims and it worked rather well for me. Mine were really old and hard.
On the split ring side take a saws all and cut completely around the outer edge of the tire along the tread. Then cut completely around the tire just outside of the retainer ring allowing the side wall to be removed. Pull out the tube and flap. With the saws all cut as far into the bead at the split in the retainer as you can. Finish the cut through the steel bands in the bead with a sharp chisel. Hopefully then you can peel the bead away from the retainer ring, flip the tire over onto an upturned bucket and with a rubber mallet break the tire loose from the back side of the rim.
------------
Dave
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

Wow, I've never gotten a tire off without removing the ring before. That thing must really be rusted on there. I've never had that much trouble getting the ring off, the trouble I usually have is getting the tire off the rusty rim.

Red
scl009

Post by scl009 »

After a night of electrolysis about half of the retainer is moving, gonna soak it again tonight and hopefully try and get it off tomorrow.

The retainer does have some pin holes in it, you think I can still resuse it? There is also some pitting, but I expected that, I think with new flaps, tubes and tires it should be ok. I'll post a pic of the pitting and the rim when my phone starts working again.
Attachments
springretainer.JPG
springretainer.JPG (118.95 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
scl009

Post by scl009 »

Oh forgot to mention, I did cut the tire off with a sawsall and a bolt cutter to brake the bead.
scl009

Post by scl009 »

my phone started working
Attachments
the pitting
the pitting
pitting.JPG (98.71 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
wheeltwo.JPG
wheeltwo.JPG (115.72 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
wheelone.JPG
wheelone.JPG (103.6 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
Reds34

Post by Reds34 »

It's a little hard to tell how rusty the rim is. It doesn't look the rim is too bad where the 2 sections are riveted together. If there are any pin holes in the rim, then don't use it. What is that rear end for in the picture?

Red
scl009

Post by scl009 »

It's a 10.5 inch free floating axle from an 2001 F350
Reds34

Post by Reds34 »

I was wondering if it was a sterling axle.

Red
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

scl009 wrote: The retainer does have some pin holes in it, you think I can still resuse it?
Howdy Scott. I felt like this was a pretty important question to respond to with my 2¢ worth.

I'd be pretty leary of using a split ring that had rust through. Seems like it would be a question of when
it fails, not if it fails.

Everyone within launch distance would always be in great danger.

Again, just my 2¢ since you asked. :)

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.